Am I fit for HL math?

ibkid123

Hello Everyone,

I am entering IB next year and am questioning on whether or not HL math is right for me. In grade 9 my mark was 96, in grade 10 I received a 94, and in grade 11 a 96. What do you think, will I do fine in HL? Also, I does anyone have any good resources to prepare me for HL next year? Thank you.

Doing Math HL isn't only about the grades prior to entering the IB. Your grades are excellent, and you'll probably be fine, but getting good grades in grade 9, 10 and 11 doesn't guarantee a good grade in the IB.

Instead of looking at your grades, you should consider whether or not you actually enjoy math. HL math isn't an easy course and it'll require you to spend some of your free time doing problems, and going through the ones you don't understand.

With that said, HL math is also really rewarding (and fun!) so go for it. And if you still have your doubts, start with 4 HLs and drop your least favorite within the first few months of IB. (But don't get discouraged by your first few grades in Math as they're usually horrible, it gets better.)

About the preparing, I personally think you shouldn't (but some people might disagree). It'll only cause extra stress for no reason whatsoever. Just enjoy your summer!

(Edit: font size)

Edited by maroctam
  • Like 4

Agree with maroctam.

You'd need to spend at least a few hours each week working on math stuff, during "normal time", and much more during exam prep.

So long as your basics are good and you enjoy doing maths (you don't exactly have to have a wild passion, but you should have a bit of curiosity and interest), Math HL should be a challenging and meaningful subject.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...