I need maths and physics HL for university!

713u

Hey guys!

I just finished my IB programme waiting for the results that arrive in July. I am taking a gap year to travel and just chill before I continue studying again, then I want to study mechanical engineering in Scotland (Edinburgh, Aberdeen or Glasgow).

All engineering programmes require that the student has studied physics and maths HL but the thing is I did not take maths HL, only SL and I did not take physics at all.

What should I do? I really want to become an engineer! Can I take independent physics/maths courses to apply for the universities?

I live in Sweden and yes one can take independent courses, but they are over a year usually. And I have planned to travel over a longer period during my gap year..

Please help me!!

Hey guys!

I just finished my IB programme waiting for the results that arrive in July. I am taking a gap year to travel and just chill before I continue studying again, then I want to study mechanical engineering in Scotland (Edinburgh, Aberdeen or Glasgow).

All engineering programmes require that the student has studied physics and maths HL but the thing is I did not take maths HL, only SL and I did not take physics at all.

What should I do? I really want to become an engineer! Can I take independent physics/maths courses to apply for the universities?

I live in Sweden and yes one can take independent courses, but they are over a year usually. And I have planned to travel over a longer period during my gap year..

Please help me!!

You already know what you have to do. Forget your travel plans and buckle down and study Maths and Physics independently. You can't have your cake and eat it too, I'm afraid. Tough, I know, but it's either this or abandon your desire to study Mechanical Engineering in Scotland (or elsewhere in Britain for that matter).

It's going to be a bit difficult for you to learn AND travel. There's a huge amount of material you need to learn for HL maths and physics...or even A-levels if you'll be preparing for only a year. But if you can manage both then hats off to you.

How do I take the A level courses? In Sweden, they don't offer A level courses unfortunately.

The beautiful thing about Scotland is you can take more than 1 course in first year. You can take apply for say, geography and take modules in physics and maths and then swap to engineering. Try that.

Could you please explain a little further? This seems interesting!