Sweden Vs. Scotland

Fermat

Hi guys,

I plan on applying to universities (from Sweden) in the UK. More specifically Cambridge and Warwick. However, I also have some back-up universities and here is were my problem arises. Since uni. is free for me both in Sweden and Scotland, where do you guys think would be the best place to go for an economics degree? I personally think that Scotland would be more interesting to study in because I have lived in Sweden for 14 years and I don't find it to be a very fun country to live in.

However if the degree would be better in Sweden I am willing to stay here. So basically my question is: Which country has (in general) a better economics degree?

Sweden, in the UK universities closer to London/ in England tend to be better for economics as opposed to Scotland (with the exception of Glasglow). Apply for both countries, your 5 via UCAS and however many in Sweden. It's easier to narrow it down and make decisions when you've already gotten accepted.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2013/economics-and-econometrics

• Like 1

Sweden, in the UK universities closer to London/ in England tend to be better for economics as opposed to Scotland (with the exception of Glasglow). Apply for both countries, your 5 via UCAS and however many in Sweden. It's easier to narrow it down and make decisions when you've already gotten accepted.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2013/economics-and-econometrics

Thanks for that ranking! So i guess I'll stick with Sweden then. Does anyone else want to come with some advise?

• 2 weeks later...

I do live in Scotland. Yes there are things to do outside of class. St. Andrews is small but it's definitely very student orientated and there's an active social life with a range of sports and activities. Dundee is 15 minutes away and has a great night life for cheap. Edinburgh, being the capital, is obviously a very vibrant and diverse city with a wide range of things, both studenty and non studenty to do. But overall, I'd say St. Andrews is better. It's really rigorous and takes care of students, despite being smaller.

• Like 1

Sweet, Scotland seems like a great choice then because I wouldn't have to pay for tuition (it's free for Swedes right?). What about the living cost? It's not a big problem since I won't be paying for tuition but I'm just curios because I heard it's really expensive living in the UK.

• Like 1

Yes it's free for EU member states and Scottish students. No, the living cost isn't that expensive in St Andrews nor Edinburgh. For example, for my catered (meals provided) accommodation it's £5500 per year. However, for London unis such as KCL, LSE and UCL self catered (no meals) it can be as expensive as £9000, which is as expensive as tuition fees themselves.

• Like 1

Yes it's free for EU member states and Scottish students.

Is it free for Swiss students too? Because depending on the university I've seen Switzerland to have both "overseas" fees as well as European.

I don't know, sorry.