Volunteering in a children's nursery

Hey, I have arranged to complete 6 weeks unpaid work in a children's nursery to contribute to my CAS and also my personal statement (as Developmental Psychology) but was unsure whether it would be valid as Creativity hours?

It seems to fit into Service better, but I was wondering, as I'm in more need of Creativity hours, can it technically be considered this as I will be doing creative things e.g. painting/playing games with the children? My friend has told me someone she knows did a similar thing and was allowed to use it for creative hours...So what do you guys think? Shall I just put it towards creativity or would it be better to double check with my coordinator?

Thanks in advance

So what do you guys think? Shall I just put it towards creativity or would it be better to double check with my coordinator?

Thanks in advance

Yeah this should be more inclined towards creativity because you are doing innovative things to entertain the children :) and it's unpaid so it's CAS

But, just to be on the safe side, confirm with your coordinator just to ensure that it's not service or something...

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your suggestions and help, but when I double checked with my supervisor, "as I'm not inventing the activities it can't count as creativity" :/

I'm still gonna use it, just as Service, and also it's relevant for my Personal Statement, as I will be applying to Psychology and I can say this is Developmental Psych if asked at an interviews/on my PS :)

Thank you all for your help anyway :D

• 2 weeks later...

Creativity is not about inventing. No idea how your supervisor got that definition but I'm pretty confident that it's not true.

In fact, from the CAS syllabus, on page 3, it's defined as.. "Creativity: arts, and other experiences that involve creative thinking."

As it sounds like you will be involved in artsy things like painting, and thinking creatively in entertaining children, then it should be creativity. As the definition says, you don't need to invent activities, just think creatively - which can be done whilst doing activities.

If you would really like to use it for creativity I would go and ask your supervisor again (or even go and talk straight to your IB coordinator), and this time show them the syllabus (page 13 also has a description of what is required for creativity in CAS). Ask them where they got the idea that it has to include invention...

Even if for some reason your supervisor doesn't let you use it for creativity, it sounds like you've got yourself a really good extra-curricular activity/service opportunity! :)

Edited by bluedino
  • Like 1