Text books for options

MDT

Hi, I was wondering about which book I should choose for my Math HL Calculus option? My exam is May 2014, so it's the new curriculum.

So far I think I want to buy the Cambridge book, since the book from Oxford University Press that we currently use for Math Hl Core is horrible when it comes to mistakes, even though it's good in the way it explains math. What are your opinions about Oxford and Cambridge University Press, which one's the best?

Have you had a look at the Haese & Harris textbooks? I didn't do Maths HL but I had the Cambridge textbook for Maths SL and it was really dry with kinda rubbish explanations in. We also used the Haese & Harris one and I found it much better. I don't think I ever found a mistake, either. Something to consider as another option, perhaps.

I used the Pearson Baccalaureate textbook for the series and differential equations option, which I believe your calculus option is mostly based on with some minor additions and deletions. I'm not if they have published a new book for the new syllabus, but I'd imagine they probably have.

It was nice and colourful and the mathematical jargon wasn't too intensive and confusing.

Argh, do not get me started on the Oxford core book for Maths HL! How is it possible to be so incompetent in providing answers for the exercises the authors presumably wrote? But aside from the prolific and nonsensical errors in the answers, I actually feel like it's a decent book - I prefer it over H & H for the core because it doesn't subdivide so relentlessly.

We're using Haese and Harris, and it's quite simple and easy to use - it's one of the more popular ones, I think. And it has mostly accurate worked solutions attached. I'm fairly sure if you google, you can find a digital copy of the Cambridge TB for the options for Calculus. I myself am not sure about the Pearson that has been recommended by Hus.

I think (though I could be wrong) that H&H options book is being updated for new syllabus soon, so if you can get your hands on that that would probably be the safest option. Since the calculus option has actually undergone quite significant changes, you'll have to be very careful and cross-referencing with your new syllabus to make sure everything is relevant.

It doesn't look like Pearson has any text books for the new curriculum yet, unfortunately, while Cambridge and Haese and Harris have published both core books and options. I've been searching a bit around about information about the different publishers, and as I understand, the H&H book is good, even though the book is a bit messed up and the problems are a bit easy. However, I wasn't able to find much information about the Cambridge books, some people say they're good, while others say they're not. Has anyone actually read and compared the Cambridge and H&H books for the options?