Friggin' DNA profiles

braindead

How do you read them? There's a lot of questions in past papers that ask for you to identify whether these two kids are related to man I or woman II or whatever, but I never know how... can anyone explain it in Layman's terms!?

(By DNA profiles I mean the horizontal lines of DNA separated via gel electrophoresis by the way)

Edited by braindead

it's quite simple, you need to look at them horizontally, becuase their position depends in the size and charge, sth along those lines. and if the child has some bands that won't match neither of the parents (mother or suspected father) than this father is not the biological one. And to see which dna belongs to whom you look at them vertically (well, unless they turn the picture by 90 degrees, then its the other way round XD)

I'm not sure I made it clear, ask if you need more info ;d

Basically, you take the column of a parent and a child and compare them.

For example, if you have a child and three potential dads and you need to find out who the real parent is, you take given the DNA profile of a potential dad and compare it to the one of the child. Put the columns next to each other and see how many bars match.

Do that with the profile of every potential dad and the one who has the most bars that match is most likely the father.