IA MATH STUDIES

ronnie-891

My school is new in IB so my math studies teacher doesn't know to well all the procedure and how IB works... I have been doing a lot of research but I'm still confused. It would be amazing if someone could help me or tell me if it's okay to choose for my topic "exist a correlation between the number of concerts of 20 bands and the sell of the discs?" Is this a good topic?? Would I be able to have an excellent grade given my topic?

Edited by ronnie-891

Given the topic, I would say you could do fairly well. Though, I think it would be preferable with a third variable, if you make that work.

Also, the topic implies that you will only check if there is a correlation, not necessarily how strong or weak it is, or what the correlation implies. Therefore, I would perhaps rephrase it slightly, so that it reads "What is the relationship between concerts and the number of albums sold?" Mentioning that you assess 20 bands feel a bit redundant in the research question, and I would mention that in the 'Plan of Investigation' part instead.

Additionally, although the topic often give you a clear indication on what mathematical processes you should use, the grade really depends on the accuracy, relevancy and efficiency of the mathematical processes you do. Make sure that you use the right processes, that the processes have significance (i.e. is either leading to another process, or give you something to form a conclusion on) and that you solve them accurately (at least to three significant figures - but do not round too much before the final result!). Furthermore, you should do both simple and sophisticated processes - don't just focus on simple processes, for instance. If you include sophisticated processes (which you should), you are likely to have done some simple processes already.

Good luck!

Edited by alefal
  • Like 1