History HL: Paper 1 & 2 Discussion

I was so lucky for paper 2. I was mainly prepared for Stalin and there he was! I wrote the Stalin question (assess the importance of three factors...) and the first cold war question (mutual fear and search for security).

Since the 24-hour limit has passed for paper 3, let me add that I found the questions very useless for my studies. No Lenin, no Russian revolutions, no Khrushchev/Brezhnev... It's as if they had deliberately jumped over the areas I had prepared for. :D Praise the IB there was that Nicholas II question, otherwise I would've been completely out of choices.

I live in Greece and I think we had TZ 1, 1st question was on causes of WW1, which I did...

I also did reasons for Stalin's rise to power, which I think I failed miserably at, I wasted too much time on the first question. Besides, the wording was really confusing such as "popular support" (what is that, popular support from the people? party?)

Anyway, crossing my fingers for a 7, I'd feel ok with a 6, gutted with a 5!

Yeah, I found that pretty vague as well. Just to be on the safe side, I discussed both popular support among public (working on his popular image, destroying Trotsky's image etc.) and support within the party (filling key positions with supporters etc.)

I was so lucky for paper 2. I was mainly prepared for Stalin and there he was! I wrote the Stalin question (assess the importance of three factors...) and the first cold war question (mutual fear and search for security).

I experienced something similar. I did the causes of WW2 literally minutes before I left home for the exam and there it was, question 1! :D The questions were great but I don't think my essays were particularly excellent; I feel that my argument was a bit awkward and spent too much time on q1. q13 (how ideological appeal was supposedly less important than social and economic distress) was rushed and I can barely remember what I wrote XD

Paper 1, I did Arab-Israeli and found it awesome (finished question 4! :o)

Edited by Garmr

I think P.1 was quite straight forward. Sources were clear and who has time for a nice and clear essay anyways? XD I think i managed to respond and evaluate the main points of the Ruhr Crisis.

In paper 2 I did the question on how a totalitarian regime eliminated opposition (Stalin) and Castro's contribution to the cold war