First IB exam..tips?

mrbellizzi

I'm taking my first ever IB exam tomorrow and Friday... Regardless it's Math Studies so I'm not totally worried about a lot of the questions (maybe a few Paper 2 q's) but other than that... any rules of thumb I should know walking in to the exam for the first time?

Relax. Trust that you have all the knowledge and skills necessary to get you through. Especially maths. If you're stuck, do something else and come back to it. Sometimes it may look complicated but if you push through the algebra you might get through it (that's for Maths HL I don't know about studies) Do all the questions you can. If you can't do any questions, don't worry about it. Someone somewhere won't be able to do it too. Use your data booklet and your calculator to help you. They're really useful. Sometimes your data booklet can help you guess ('smart guess') the answer. Know what you calculator can help you with.

Before submitting your paper, check your candidate name, number subject and paper info on your coversheet. Oh and on this note, before you start check that your paper is correct as well. If you need an answer booklet, make sure you write the question numbers on every page (i do it for every subquestion because i'm paranoid) and in the correct form. Remember to write your session number on your answer booklet and on your question paper.

One more thing, remember not to discuss online before the designated time. You can discuss with your classmates. I don't know about your teachers.

Other than that, don't worry, you'll be fine. Rest a lot, and RELAX. (Y)

All the best!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've already done a few exams, and I think the most important part is not pressuring out or choking. It will most definitely affect your performance negatively. While there's no way to 100% avoid pressure, just mentally prepare yourself, etc, and come in with a focused mentality. I always tell myself to (sorry if this is offensive) "shut up and just go rape the damn test already you bozo" when I'm thinking about schtuff like "oh man did I do this right? how many marks do i need? what about (insert x exam i haven't done yet)?". Also, make sure you review and do practice papers. They really are the best way to review. You'll always see at least one question that is 100% similar in structure and topic breadth to past papers and thats really just free marks.