Missing your conditional offer by one point

decemberr94

Hey guys!

I have an offer at university of Edinburgh for 34 points, however I'm afraid I'm going to miss it by one point (worst case scenario.) I was wondering if anyone knew the university's policy on this? Is it possible for me to still get in?

I've heard from other students that they might be nicer because they want international students, especially from countries outside of EU because we pay full tuition. I don't know how true this is.

What do you guys think?

I know that at most other unis after students have gotten their results they will decide how many empty spaces they have and will be more than willing to fill these if you only just miss out on the entry grade.

Certainly worth a phone call!

As above, if you miss your offer then the whole thing becomes a little dependent on circumstances - how many places they filled or failed to fill, how much you missed the offer by and so on. Possibly also that you pay full fees! You like to think Universities aren't that cynical but... yeah haha. Anyway, the general gist is that yes it's possible to miss your offer and still get in but obviously you are no longer guaranteed to get in.

The big thing really is not to let it stress you out mid-exams and just keep trying to do your best with the other subjects. If you feel like you've dropped a point it's not unfeasible that you can make it up elsewhere. People can do better as well as worse in their final exams :P Also you usually feel like it was a lot more catastrophic than it actually was! Hard to believe but that was definitely my experience - none of my dire predictions turned out to be quite as dire as they'd felt at the time. Good luck with the rest.

• Like 1

I am in a similar situation for King's College London because my condition is almost exactly the same as my predicted. I attended an offer-holder event a little while ago and when I asked what my chances were of keeping my place if I just miss my condition, the answer I received was that KCL ranks the applicants who miss their conditions and fill the remaining spots accordingly. They will not immediately withdraw your offer. It is essentially like going through a second round of admissions. I'm quite worried still though!

And if I miss out by 1 point on a specific offer requirement (for example, Math HL)? Since it is a specific requirement, do I get automatically rejected, or do the same rules apply?

I would assume the same rules apply, but to be sure, you could always send a investigatory e-mail to the admissions office of the university (-ies) you've applied to explaining your situation and enquiry. However, I would assume that other people who have obtained the special requirement, but missed out on a point or two in total (or equivalent in other high school programmes) will be prioritised.