How many pages should we be writing for essay questions in Paper 2 and 3?

Abidicus

Hey there!

There has been made a couple of threads in the last few days, both of which have received answers. I suggest you read this thread, for instance: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/24070-ideal-number-of-pages/

In short, there is no standard length you should aim for. As long as your essay is of good quality, you're getting marks. Quality over quantity.

Good luck!

The way these papers are graded is significantly different from the methods with which, say, English papers are graded. When reviewing the History exams, readers have set items that receive marks. As long as you include these items in your essay, you'll receive credit. That being said, another facet of the criterion is writing your essay with an effective structure and in coherent language. The length of your writing will not help or hurt you (unless you are woefully brief, at the extreme, of course).

However, in an effort to put your mind at rest (because I personally hate when a responder doesn't actually answer my question) I would recommend writing 4 pages for HL/SL Paper 2 (2 pages per prompt) and 7-8 pages for HL Paper 3 (2-3 pages for each of the 3 prompts).

In the words of my History teacher, the average student writes one page (one side of one sheet) every 20 minutes. That's not a rule, just the average, according to him, but it seems reasonable.

You will be fine though! Good luck to you.

EDIT: Yep, I agree with the poster above me.

Edited by Nrsander

The way these papers are graded is significantly different from the methods with which, say, English papers are graded. When reviewing the History exams, readers have set items that receive marks. As long as you include these items in your essay, you'll receive credit. That being said, another facet of the criterion is writing your essay with an effective structure and in coherent language. The length of your writing will not help or hurt you (unless you are woefully brief, at the extreme, of course).

However, in an effort to put your mind at rest (because I personally hate when a responder doesn't actually answer my question) I would recommend writing 4 pages for HL/SL Paper 2 (2 pages per prompt) and 7-8 pages for HL Paper 3 (2-3 pages for each of the 3 prompts).

You will be fine though! Good luck to you.

Brilliant. For the mock exams that I've had, I average around 2 1/2 pages per question so it's quite reassuring to know that I'm fine.