medicine in Canada

susanne

Hello people:

I have a question regarding studying Medicine in Canada.

In Australia we have two stream; on is the undergraduate stream, in which takes 6 years and requires you to sit the UMAT, and the other one is postgraduate stream, which takes 4 years and requires you to sit GAMSAT at some stage of your university life.

My question is, does Canada offer undergraduate medicine like Australia? Or is it all postgraduate medicine like America. And if so, if there any clinical aptitude test that comes with it? And how difficult is it?

Sorry I don't know much about this but check out this wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_medical_schools_in_Canada to find out which unis have medicine course and then google the one's that fascinate you. Although this is probably not what you were looking for, I just felt bad that your post was still unanswered (yes, I'm a very nice person :D) Anyways, at least you'll get some info. BTW I don't think that you have to do GMAT for every uni coz at first I was thinking about doing medicine as well and my careers teacher said that in melbourne uni, just the atar and prerequisite subjects get you into the biomedicine course. You do need it for UWA though...not really sure. Anyways happy studying then :D

• 2 months later...

This may be a bit overdue but...
In Canada, studying medicine is similar to the US in that applying to most medical schools require you to have an undergraduate degree (which takes normally 4 years). Most Canadian medical schools do not require that you major in a science facility or course (in fact, your undergraduate degree can be anything... just make you have a degree) to apply. You also need to take the MCAT.

graduating from med schools take usually 4 years, and add onto years of internship... becoming a doctor takes at least 8 years after high school... a tedious but rewarding profession :)

Edited by KAYL
  • Like 1