How do you finish the math papers in time?

n00b

The exam is coming up in like 9-10 days, I would like to my fellow math HL students:

How the f*** do you finish every question in the paper within 2 hours (both p1 and p2)?

excuse my bad langauge, but I am really pissed right now. The questions itself isn't that bad, but they are all so long!!! So far, I can finish section A and 1 - 2 questions (out of the usual 4) in section B. This applies for both papers. If I don't find a way to deal with this, I will be losing 60 points automatically for both papers combined! (section B has 60 marks, 60/2 * 2 = 60!!)

Any help is appreciated! I really need a 7 in this subject :)

I know, it's hard to get the papers done in time. Section A is easier, so you should be spending less time on it. I try and get it done in under 45 minutes, if possible. I just skip questions if I don't feel as though I understand them. From there, I move straight onto Section B. I try and do everything as quickly as possible, and leave gaps for the questions I dont' feel I can get. Usually, by the time I've finished what I can with Section A and Section B, I have about 30 minutes left to try and 'fill in the gaps' and check my answers. Depending on whether I get lucky on the questions, because sometimes I find the questions easy, some quite hard. But overall, I try and limit myself to spending maximum 50 minutes or Section A, then I move straight onto Section B, and then come back and finish.

Otherwise, if you can't get Section B finished more than halfway, why not start with Section B and then do Section A? Then you'll definitely finish Section B. However, whilst doing Section B first means that you'll probably finish it, you might miss the easy marks in Section A. But as it seems as though you can't get much of Section B done in the current situation, this might work. Try it out and compare it with your current marks!

However, you have got to try both strategies yourself and see which works better for you. Try and figure it out soon. :) I would recommend that you focus practice on Section B type questions. You can find them either in the second half of post-2008 past papers, long questions in question-bank or Paper 2 for pre-2008 past papers.

I don't know how much more advice I can give for finishing the papers apart from to practice! I myself need to do a lot more timed practice in exam conditions. Doing questions is one thing, doing them timed and without 'cheating' in exam conditions is another thing. Good luck :)

• Like 3

You know how in section A the questions are easy..easy...easy..then BAM Integrate (X + Superman/alpha pi theta tampon)? Well that's what it looks like to me, anyway :D

Skip the crazy weird questions in section A and collect all the marks you can in section B. Usually section B question have this thing where they give you a whole bunch of marks for free at the beginning part of each question, then a crazy part for like the last 4 marks. Once you're done getting all the easy marks, then focus and start thinking about the difficult questions. In any case, you're not expected to be able to answer everything properly, so always try and include some basic steps (Eg if its a retarded differential equation question, try to differentiate some stuff, set up an equation if you can, etc). Get some marks. With this you won't be scoring 115/120, but you at least get in the ballpark of 100/120.

• Like 9

Thank you for all the advice, I taking the IB Exam next year. However, math tests this year is already crazy. I feel really stress because I can't finish all the question on time. I receive quite low for my test, just because I miss so many easy mark and there are a lot of question that is so long. For example, a) I would know the answer but b) I don't etc. How can I find the question bank sample question?

You are never going to able to answer everything on the exam to perfection, it just doesn't happen in math HL. You should go through section A sequentially and don't waste more than 5 minutes on a question, if you are, skip and move on.

Section B answer as many parts as you can, and when you have answered everything you are able to, move back to section A and the questions you were unable to answer. This worked for me. Remember you don't even need to get 100/120 to get a 7, there will always be mistakes.

Practice every past paper from 2003-2004 onwards, and more if possible. That's what it takes, no jokes.

• Like 4