Durham or Bath?

-._._.-

I think I've pretty much narrowed down my choices to exeter and durham or exeter and bath. This is for civil engineering.

The main question is between durham and bath, but I can use exeter as an indirect route to help in my decision. I prefer durham to exeter because of the collegiate system. So if I compare Bath and Exeter and I find that I prefer Exeter, then it's simple because my to firm choices will be Exeter and Durham - if i meet the grade for durham, the I'll go for durham; if not, then exeter. Some complication will arise if I prefer Bath (even between these two, I can't decide which one I prefer). In which case, I will have to look at by how much I prefer Bath over Exeter and how much I prefer Durham over Exeter.

I can also make a comparison between durham and bath, but as you know, I can't make a decision.

-----------------------------------------

Durham pros:

• collegiate system (my college fits most of my criteria, except that it is more traditional in the sense that we wear gowns for formal events, which I don't really want but it's a minor factor)
  • general engineering (so I can change to mechanical engineering if I decide to then go into product design, although it is unlikely that I can branch out to architecture from mechanical engineering)
  • campus is quite nice

Durham cons:

• condition is high (38, when my predicted is a 33-35)
  • I'll have to share a room for at least one term (as of now, it's a con, but I don't know maybe it can be a pro)

Bath pros:

• good sporting facilities (I think - correct me if I am wrong, or maybe durham has equally good sporting facilities?)
  • I can pick a campus with en-suite rooms (if they are available)
  • campus is quite nice (both campuses are nice, but bath is more modern. I suppose the modern-ness is not that important a factor)
  • ranked quite high for civil engineering

Bath cons:

• I don't know if this is true - UK residents are not in favour of Bath? (to put it bluntly)
  • Durham is more reputable?

Exeter pros:

• campus is quite nice, modern too
  • conditions are achievable (because of this, exeter will definitely be one of my choices)
  • pretty active in sports too

Exeter cons:

• actually I can't really think of any. Maybe it is less reputable compared to the other two?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is unlikely that I will meet both Durham's and Bath's offers, but I am more likely to meet Bath's. One of the things I look for is campus beauty, nice student life (more towards sport rather than music), fully catered (maybe partly too), preferably en suite and basically a great experience. Also, I have been given conditional offers from Glasgow and Edinburgh, so maybe your opinion is that I should reconsider these two?

I would like to know your suggestions, input, opinion, and factors I can consider that will help me make a decision.

Edited by -._._.-

First of all, all 3 are excellent schools I think... I would definitely consider Bath and Durham. The way I see Bath is like sort of a rising school in the U.K. (6th rated from students, 3rd according to Times Higher Education) plus as you mentioned their facilities are unbelievable. Have you visited any of these yet to get an on campus feel?

I live in the UK, but I've only visited Durham out of the three. I must say, it's a great uni, and its reputation is definitely much more solid than the other two. Most consider it second only to Oxbridge, but there are a variety of opinions, especially with regard to all the London unis. Durham is my insurance uni, and to be honest, I'd love to go there.

I have a friend at Bath and they're really happy there, with both the social and academic aspect. I agree with the person above, it's definitely on the rise. I also have a few friends at Exeter but some really like it, and some dislike it. I think it has a less studious environment.

If I were in your position, I would probably firm Durham and make Bath an insurance - do they mention any disadvantages of making them an insurance? I.e. lower priority accommodation application? All in all, it's really up to you, but I'm just giving my opinion on the reputation of the universities over here.

Trev's sits on top of a hill that leads straight to the science site where your lectures will be.

despite their wearing gowns, it is far from being a traditional college. it's from the 60s..

traditional colleges are: chad's, castle, john's, hatfield (also known as ****field)