Creativity: Learning a language. Is this possible?

• 1 month later...

I went to France to take language courses and counted that for creativity. Although you can't go to a country and stay there for 3 weeks, then count those 3 weeks as CAS even if you're speaking that language the whole time. You have to do a course of something. Otherwise it's like saying "My best friend broke up with her boyfriend, and I slept over at her house and I counselled her. It should count as CAS".

Haha weird example, but I couldn't think of anything else.

I think you CAN learn a language for CAS, just as long as you aren't sitting an exam for it.

For me, I'm learning Japanese.........but self-taught so have no supervisor. All those potential CAS hours gone to waste.... =(

AURON

i don't understand. what's the problem with sitting an exam for it? wouldn't it be considered a sort of challenge, and CAS is also about taking on challenges..

i myself am learning japanese and brushing up on my korean,

but i plan to sit for exams for both in order to have something to prove my progress in them..

• 2 months later...
Wow! Then I'm sooo doing that! :P

WOW! I would love to learn a new language AND get CAS hours :D

The problem is that we've asked our IB / CAS coordinators whether or not you are allowed to learn a language / instrument / sport to obtain CAS hours and they said no........you have to be teaching it to others otherwise it won't be counted as a CAS activity :(

My coordinator said we could learn a language or instrument for CAS as long as you aren't using it as part of the diploma (i.e. language).