Competitive US Universities with 3 HL's?

iknowwhocares

So I'm in the process of choosing my IB courses and for some reason, I feel like I will not be a competitive applicant at top universities if I only take 3 HLs... However, the school I will be attending next year doesn't offer Philosophy or Geography (which would've been my 4th HLs)
I am considering taking Psychology online at Higher Level, but the scientific side scares me a little. Otherwise I would take Philosophy but at SL. (online too)

You can discard the mystical 'reason' for feeling like you need 4 HLs to be competitive. 3HLs is plenty to get you into anywhere you like, provided the rest of your application is good. If by some random chance you were intending to apply to the UK, doing additional HL subjects counts for diddly squat. You do it for your own pleasure and happiness (if indeed that it what you get out of it) - not because it'll help you get into Uni! Do 6 HLs or 3HLs, the outcome will be the same. Just the former is a lot more work and therefore likely to drag your grades down - and THEN the outcome will not be the same :P

The IB is constructed so you do 3HLs and nobody expects or rewards you for doing otherwise.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised you were talking about US universities and I didn't read the title properly!

Don't push yourself to do 4 HLs if you don't like the subjects being offered! There's no reason to! I attended a talk with US College counsellors yesterday and really, 4 HLs makes little difference. What they care for is that you challenged yourself, not only like academically, but also with sports, ECs in general, team activities and leadership roles, that kinda stuff. Being well rounded is what will get you places!

Instead of doing more HLs, maybe you can do more SATs subject tests? Top US uni's which ask for SATs will look at the SATs, as it's a generalised test and all the applicants will be required to do them. So if they as for 2 SAT subject tests in addition to the ACT/ SAT test you could do 2+ it may help if the subjects are ones you do in IB or are just good at. Also competitions seem to go down well, especially international ones like olympiads in related or just subjects you like. Possibly try seeing if you could take part in one. If not, winning a lot of [academic] school/ national competitions will suffice.

Most of the time higher grades is a better outcome than numerous HLs. Top US universities even accept certificates with less than 6 IB subjects/ 3HLs in some cases so number of HLs isn't really always going to get you through the door.

Passion through grades + admissions essays and [maybe] a physical manifestation of this passion through competitions and involvement with the community... maybe

There's a place in the common application where your counsellor judges how rigorous your courseload is. If someone else is taking 4 HLs or 7 subjects, then your counsellor cannot tick the "most rigorous courseload" box for you.

In terms of the academic transcript, of course 4 7s at HL is more impressive than 3 7s at HL. But a 7766 may not be better than a 777.

What others have said are definitely true - do not sacrifice other aspects of your application in order to do well in 4 HLs. However, if you are able to do well in 4 HLs and also your activities outside of school, then go ahead, it will definitely make your application more competitive.

Edited by Victor L
  • Like 1

Like others have said, it's better to do well across the board then to not do so well in 4 HLs. Plus there are other factors, such as SATs/ACT and your extra-curricular activities to consider. (Although grades are the most important.)

And if you'd like some examples, I got into Wellelsey just fine with 3 HLs; I also know of someone who is going to Columbia with 3 HLs too. Just pick your subjects wisely.

(As for Psychology HL, as far as I know HL isn't that scientific. But I'm not too sure about that one.)