Need feedback on focus of research question?

Ridapher

For a history essay (have plenty of weeks to work on it :)

How are the Salem Witch Trials of the late 17th century in colonial Massachusetts a comparison with todays modern cultural perceptions? (In the U.S.)

I feel like it's somewhat focused, but should be narrowed down even more...and let me know if it makes sense :P

Thanks a lot!

p.s. I meant feedback in the title...you'd think a year of IB would teach me some keyboard skills.......

Edited by ~Lc~
Fixed typo in the title

History topics are not supposed to be about "contemporary events". If you're going to do something on history, you must do it on an event which happened at least 10 years ago, that makes 2003 the highest year you could consider on a historical essay. Regarding the title, what do you mean by "a comparison", do you mean, "how are the salem with trials (...) alike with today's modern cultural perceptions?"

Procrastination, is that stated in the syllabus? Excuse my ignorance I'm not aware of the new syllabus and I am asking out of genuine interest.

OP are you looking at the perceptions of society of the trials back then and comparing it to contemporary historical studies on it? Or do you want to look into the perception of society on modern day witches, I believe they call themselves Wiccans.

If it is the latter, I'm afraid you're stepping too far into sociology rather than history there.

I wanted to do a research paper on how the trials are replayed in modern society, how perception alters our decisions...and not Wiccans...I wanted to look at the culture conflict in our society (misconceptions, stereotypes, labels)

@Procastrination And my history teacher didn't mention anything about the 10 year limit...in fact, he encouraged us to relate history with present day. (P.s. this is NOT an IA, just an essay assigned in class...totally up to the teacher on how he plans it...)

and yeah, alike.

That makes more sense, I assumed it was an IA as well.

It sounds like an interesting topic, I have been to Salem a few years back and remember there were some touristic tours and plays around. Is that what you will be comparing it to?

How are the Salem Witch Trials of the late 17th century in colonial Massachusetts a comparison with todays modern cultural perceptions? (In the U.S.)

Today's modern cultural perceptions of... what? You have to compare like with like. It's like me saying "how are apples a comparison with neo-nazi ideology of the past decade?". You've got to pick something current to compare it with, even if you just say "today's modern cultural perceptions of ____"

...with ____ being 'witches', 'the town of Salem', 'judicial trials'! Whatever. Otherwise your title makes no sense, it's not clear what your essay is about.

Also, grammatically your title doesn't make sense. Change it to something like "A comparison of the treatment of witches in the Salem Witch Trials with modern day perceptions of witches". "How are.... a comparison" doesn't read correctly for reasons I cannot articulate precisely (probably relating to the use of a plural and then a singular) but it just doesn't sound quite right.

These are all just ways of improving your title though. Your topic itself sounds interesting! If a tad depressing - or so I remember from briefly reading the play The Crucible! You do need to hone in and explain exactly what you intend to compare though. For all we know from your present title, you might be comparing cross-century cultural perceptions of the weather(!).