7 still possible?

cjy

Yeah, I'm worried about my Geo IA too - mainly because I haven't really started mine... :)

Looking at the useful document mentioned above, a low 5 is around 17. You could get pushed up to 19/30. Since you're higher level, your IA is worth 20% of your final grade, so for this 20% you basically get 12.7%/20%. That means to reach a 7, which is 75%, you need to get 62.3%/80%, or in other words around 78% average on your written components. So a 7 is still possible if you keep a high standard across your papers.

I hope my maths is correct, I'm starting to think it might not be. Anyway, I think a 7 is definitely in reach with study. Good luck :)

Psh, from what I've heard of geography, the grade boundaries are low such that if your exam papers are strong it won't matter. My school's geography class have just been doing a series of mocks for all papers in exam conditions, and one of my best friends who does geography (who has 7s predicted in HL Maths, Physics and DT, course chosen cos he wants to do engineering at Cambridge) only had to sit the mock paper 1 and mock paper 2 before he already had a 7 overall in the mock/ :P They factored in his IA, and from those three things he was already above 75%, before sitting paper 3.

The point of this anecdote is that although he probably had to get exceptional scores in all of those, the fact stands that it was possible for him to get a 7 without even sitting one of the papers - I found it amusing because I don't think I've heard of that in any other subject XD

Psh, from what I've heard of geography, the grade boundaries are low such that if your exam papers are strong it won't matter. My school's geography class have just been doing a series of mocks for all papers in exam conditions, and one of my best friends who does geography (who has 7s predicted in HL Maths, Physics and DT, course chosen cos he wants to do engineering at Cambridge) only had to sit the mock paper 1 and mock paper 2 before he already had a 7 overall in the mock/ :P They factored in his IA, and from those three things he was already above 75%, before sitting paper 3.

The point of this anecdote is that although he probably had to get exceptional scores in all of those, the fact stands that it was possible for him to get a 7 without even sitting one of the papers - I found it amusing because I don't think I've heard of that in any other subject XD

You might say that, but sometimes it is so easy to be complacent in geography that it comes around and punishes you hard for not taking it seriously :) As paper 3 is only worth about 20%, if you are a good student and can get 75/80 = 93.75% on the components that you do do, then you are very close to getting a 7 even when skipping a paper. I guess it is sort of amusing!