IA results and final grade

Razer

If you look at the syllabus, Paper 1 is 30%, Paper 2 is 30%, Paper 3 is 20% and the Portfolio is 20%. As an HL mathematician I'm sure you can probably figure out what the implications of 25/40 are in terms of as part of your overall grade.

Scan this thread to find mark boundaries in past years for HL Maths - they're likely to be very similar to the boundaries for this year as well.

• 2 weeks later...

For instance, I got 17/20 + 18/20 = 35/40 on my IA's, and got a 6 in all HL papers (paper 3 was differential equations). Unless you really neglected your IA's, you'll probably score a 4 or a 5 IMO. Good luck on your exams!

Edited by iHubble

• 4 months later...

i got 16/20 for type 1 and 15/20 for type 2, i really can't decide if i should do another one? please help me out!

my teacher said it's completely up to me but i can't help but thinking what if i was JUST below the grade boundary in the final exams and it could have been fixed by getting a better portfolio mark?

It's up to you. 31/40 is not too bad at all. :D It's not a Grade 7, but it is a low Grade 6. I can't tell you what to do, but here are some things you should consider:

What is your aim for Maths HL? Are you aiming to achieve a Grade 7 or 6 or 5? If you're aiming to achieve a Grade 7, I'd probably redo one of them at least.

How are you going in the exams? If you're acing the exams (100+/120) then maybe you'll still be able to achieve a Grade 7 overall even with your Grade 6 portfolio. If your exams are instead really weak, then you probably need the maximum portfolio mark you can get to enhance your chances of doing well at Math HL.

Another thing to consider would be - what other IAs and assessments do you have right now? Do you like have a Chem IA due or the English Written Assignment or something else due? If you have like IAs in all your other subjects to work on, and you don't really have the time to devote to doing another maths IA, then maybe you'll be better off using your time to ace the IAs in your other subjects, rather than redoing a Maths IA and hindering your ability to do as well in the other IAs? (Hope that made sense, it was a bit of a longwinded sentence!)

Personally, I would definitely endeavour to redo one of the IAs (I don't think I can cope putting myself through more torture by redoing both :P), but I would only do it if I had the time to do it.

Hope this helps! :)

• Like 1