Does it matter that I do 6 HLs?

Erudite

Hey!

I do 4 HLs and 2 SLs for my diploma and am doing 2 extra HL subjects after school as certificates. Keeping in mind that they don't count in my diploma score, and the fact that my 2 extras are Theatre and Dance HL, do you think it would make a lick of a difference to a top UK university (for a law application) that I'm doing them?

Thanks everyone!

I think it'll end up being that you won't be able to focus well enough on your subjects, 6 subjects is quite enough, 3HLs are also absolutely enough. Unless you're some kind of a super crazy genius, I seriously see no poing in straining yourself so much.

• Like 1

Like I said in my other post to you, I've never actually heard of anyone do what you're doing, I'm surprised your school is even letting you do this. When people do 4 HLs it's supposed to be too much for them...but if this is something you want to do, then I guess there's no reason you shouldn't.

When you're writing your Personal Statement for law, you should talk about this. Emphasise how unconventional this is and how much extra effort you put in. I can't see any way how it would hurt you to be honest (assuming you can handle it that is)

• Like 1

Like I said in my other post to you, I've never actually heard of anyone do what you're doing, I'm surprised your school is even letting you do this. When people do 4 HLs it's supposed to be too much for them...but if this is something you want to do, then I guess there's no reason you shouldn't.

When you're writing your Personal Statement for law, you should talk about this. Emphasise how unconventional this is and how much extra effort you put in. I can't see any way how it would hurt you to be honest (assuming you can handle it that is)

The offers might end up being for all 4 HLs :P

Thanks guys!

While it is a bit more effort than what my peers put in, I actually don't find doing 6 HLs that hard (maybe it's because most of my HLs are all soft subjects and super easy (except Maths that is)! I don't know...) I find myself struggling with Biology labs on most days and that's really the only thing I hate in the IB. It's my toughest subject. :(

By the way, Arrowhead, would you be willing to look over my English WIT essay and History IA if you have the time? You're kind of awesome at those subjects it seems.

Thanks guys!

While it is a bit more effort than what my peers put in, I actually don't find doing 6 HLs that hard (maybe it's because most of my HLs are all soft subjects and super easy (except Maths that is)! I don't know...) I find myself struggling with Biology labs on most days and that's really the only thing I hate in the IB. It's my toughest subject. :(

By the way, Arrowhead, would you be willing to look over my English WIT essay and History IA if you have the time? You're kind of awesome at those subjects it seems.

What on earth do you class as difficult?

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

What on earth do you class as difficult?

Biology...or anything Science-related, really.

But I mean, I'm not the only one who thinks English/Social Sciences/Languages/Arts are easier than Sciences/Maths though, right?

• Like 1

I'd be happy to. PM them to me.

But I mean, I'm not the only one who thinks English/Social Sciences/Languages/Arts are easier than Sciences/Maths though, right?

Oh my god, you're a legend! The funniest thing about this is you actually mean it. :rofl: Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 3

I'd be happy to. PM them to me.

Oh my god, you're a legend! The funniest thing about this is you actually mean it. :rofl:

I don't get it. What's funny? :dontgetit:
  • Like 3

How have you got predictions after 1 term? You can't have been taught hardly any of the course, and surely haven't done any or many exam papers for those subjects? o.O I'm just saying, maybe all the subjects seem easy because you haven't had to do many courseworks or exams yet?! o.O I don't think you'd be at a disadvantage for not doing extra stuff, but I reckon if you can pull off doing 8 subjects, 6 at HL then it would be respectable commitment. But also bear in mind you are gonna have NO time for extra curriculars, and those are really important for law. They don't want someone who just studies alot. They want well-rounded people - I don't mean to single out Arrowhead here, but you should see the list of law-related extra curriculars he has done. IMO, being privy to a small list of some of the things Arrowhead has done, I could see why he would be more appealing to a uni for law than someone who took on some extra subjects... Dedication is impressive - dedication specifically to law - more so.

• Like 2

How have you got predictions after 1 term? You can't have been taught hardly any of the course, and surely haven't done any or many exam papers for those subjects? o.O I'm just saying, maybe all the subjects seem easy because you haven't had to do many courseworks or exams yet?! o.O I don't think you'd be at a disadvantage for not doing extra stuff, but I reckon if you can pull off doing 8 subjects, 6 at HL then it would be respectable commitment. But also bear in mind you are gonna have NO time for extra curriculars, and those are really important for law. They don't want someone who just studies alot. They want well-rounded people - I don't mean to single out Arrowhead here, but you should see the list of law-related extra curriculars he has done. IMO, being privy to a small list of some of the things Arrowhead has done, I could see why he would be more appealing to a uni for law than someone who took on some extra subjects... Dedication is impressive - dedication specifically to law - more so.

Mate, that's really kind and very hyperbolic of you. But seriously, this girl has the profile of dreams for law.

See her posts on the Advice for Law Students thread. You will be blown away. Us lesser mortals cannot compare, I'm afraid. :P (well, except Gaby, but she's a legend!)

Edited by Arrowhead

Mate, that's really kind and very hyperbolic of you. But seriously, this girl has the profile of dreams for law.

See her posts on the Advice for Law Students thread. You will be blown away. Us lesser mortals cannot compare, I'm afraid. :P (well, except Gaby, but she's a legend!)

What is wrong with you today? :P

What can I say: enthusiasm is contagious?

Ok, I'll take this explaination, but hey, we're both amazing. :D

Now, we should stop the offtopic. My name being blue suggests I shouldn't engage in practices like this. ;)

We get predicted scores after every semester exam time. We sit for exams based on how much ever we've studied of our courses. They're like proper timed exams with real past IB exam questions. The only coursework that also gets marked into our predicted calculations are IAs that we've (maybe) worked on over term. I lost my 7 in Biology because of labs. I hate labs! :chair:

I tots agree with you about doing more than studying! I do a lot of ECs as well: debating (national champ!), MUNs (lots of local conferences, but I'm on the fast-track to go to an international one over summer between IB1 and 2), working with and teaching under-privileged village children with an NGO, theatre (both in school and professionally), dance (mostly Indian classical, and I have a diploma from Sangeet Mahabharti to teach - part of my training to get a degree before I turn 18), school choir and I'm the school girls' handball team captain since my IGCSE year. I also write for the school newsletter and annual review.

Omg, you're SOOO sweet to say that. My mind = blown! :jumphug:

What can I say: enthusiasm is contagious?

Ok, I'll take this explaination, but hey, we're both amazing. :D

Now, we should stop the offtopic. My name being blue suggests I shouldn't engage in practices like this. ;)

YOU BOTH ARE!!! :win: Edited by I_Dream_Of_Law_School
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...