Core topics-needed?

SurajM

Do we need to know the last parts of each of the core topics? Like Criminal behavior, prejudice and discrimination, etc. They don't have any learning outcomes to go by. Has anyone seen questions related to these topics in the past papers?

My teacher had told me to look through it because she saw one question in a past paper based on it, but with mocks so close by I really don't want to study anything I don't need. Are the topics in that guide the only things that will be asked? Will anything appart from the guide ever be asked?

My teacher had told me to look through it because she saw one question in a past paper based on it, but with mocks so close by I really don't want to study anything I don't need. Are the topics in that guide the only things that will be asked? Will anything appart from the guide ever be asked?

Your teacher may have examined a past paper from before the syllabus change and this could be the reason as to why a different question was posed. You should confirm with your teacher that your mock will be tested on the current syllabus, so both you and your teacher are confident in this. Only the things in the guide will ever get tested.

It's good to note that the guide may combine questions and/or change the command word.

This is from the syllabus:

A command term used in an examination question will be:

• the same as that specified in the related learning outcome, or

• another command term associated with the same assessment objective, or

• a command term of less cognitive demand.

For example, if a learning outcome begins with the command term “explain”, an examination question based

on this learning outcome could contain the command term “explain”, another command term associated

with assessment objective 2 (such as “analyse”), or a command term associated with assessment objective 1

(such as “describe”), but not a command term associated with assessment objective 3 (such as “evaluate”).

To see the different objectives view the syllabus above and check out page 9

Thank you. If it is not being asked, why would they include it in the textbook? 10 pages of useless information.

If you want me to answer, please quote me as it gives me a notification :)

A lot of things can interlink with each other - criminal behaviour goes very well with violence. If it is in the textbook perhaps it is just another perspective on that particular bullet point and it usually provides a link to the syllabus point. I'm not too sure what textbook you are using though - make sure it is for the new psych. guide

Thank you. If it is not being asked, why would they include it in the textbook? 10 pages of useless information.

If you want me to answer, please quote me as it gives me a notification :)

A lot of things can interlink with each other - criminal behaviour goes very well with violence. If it is in the textbook perhaps it is just another perspective on that particular bullet point and it usually provides a link to the syllabus point. I'm not too sure what textbook you are using though - make sure it is for the new psych. guide

I'm using the 2009 Psychology Course Companion for the IB - John Crane and Jette Hannibal

I haven't had too much practice with IB questions, and my teacher doesn't really seem to know much about the course, so it's just us figuring out how to do this stuff on our own

I'm using the 2009 Psychology Course Companion for the IB - John Crane and Jette Hannibal

I haven't had too much practice with IB questions, and my teacher doesn't really seem to know much about the course, so it's just us figuring out how to do this stuff on our own

I'm using that book as well, I find it quite useful but it is always good to use several resources - which is why the internet is brilliant!

In terms of practicing with proper IB questions, considering that the new syllabus is still relatively new (first examinations 2011) there won't be very many recent past papers out - which is why your teacher may be hesitant (as they may be saving it for mocks/other). You can do some research and try and find past papers from 2011 and 2012, but it would be quite difficult.

If you want to test yourself with proper IB questions, all you have to do is print out the core topics, close your eyes and put your finger down on one bullet point! That is an ib question! and Whalah, an IB question for you to practice on! The only questions you will ever get are already given to you! :) Do a few practices of 8 marker and 22 makers and hand them to your teacher to mark. Your teacher doesn't need to give you set questions because you already have all the potential ones you will get asked!

I'm using that book as well, I find it quite useful but it is always good to use several resources - which is why the internet is brilliant!

In terms of practicing with proper IB questions, considering that the new syllabus is still relatively new (first examinations 2011) there won't be very many recent past papers out - which is why your teacher may be hesitant (as they may be saving it for mocks/other). You can do some research and try and find past papers from 2011 and 2012, but it would be quite difficult.

If you want to test yourself with proper IB questions, all you have to do is print out the core topics, close your eyes and put your finger down on one bullet point! That is an ib question! and Whalah, an IB question for you to practice on! The only questions you will ever get are already given to you! :) Do a few practices of 8 marker and 22 makers and hand them to your teacher to mark. Your teacher doesn't need to give you set questions because you already have all the potential ones you will get asked!

How has the syllabus changed in the last 2 years? since 2011

Edited by SurajM

Oh I meant that the last syllabus change was in 2011, so the only examination papers similar to the one you will get when you do your exam is from 2011 and 2012. The ones from 2010, 2009, 2008 etc. are formatted differently and I believe they have different core topics.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I meant that the last syllabus change was in 2011, so the only examination papers similar to the one you will get when you do your exam is from 2011 and 2012. The ones from 2010, 2009, 2008 etc. are formatted differently and I believe they have different core topics.

Hi I know it has been a while since I replied, but since you're preparing for these exams too and you had the same book as me, I just wanted to be clear that you aren't revising from the last unit in each of the core chapters right? Prejudice and discrimination, criminal behavior, and all.

Hi I know it has been a while since I replied, but since you're preparing for these exams too and you had the same book as me, I just wanted to be clear that you aren't revising from the last unit in each of the core chapters right? Prejudice and discrimination, criminal behavior, and all.

Not necessarily, I use several resources to write my notes and study from them rather than straight from the textbook. In terms of the last few units, I think it is good to read them and integrate them into some of the appropriate learning outcomes. For example, with prejudice and discrimination, I used a little bit of the information about prejudice and put it in my SIT notes because SIT helps to explain why prejudice exists in the society. However, just briefly looking over them again, you're right - I don't pay too much attention to these chapters - though, I think it is just for supporting details (: All the best for these exams!

what other resources have you been using? anything online?

I have a few psychology textbooks that I refer to, the one that you have along with Pearson and a study guide. But if you try searching there are quite a lot of resources online as psychology is one of the subjects known for self-teaching.

In the ib survival links section: http://www.ibsurvival.com/links/category/20-psychology/ there are quite a few good starting websites for several other resources :)