Is it necessary to take Hindi HL if you've studied Hindi before?

It doesn't matter - the choice is his.

I've studied English since the first grade, nobody could've forced me to take English HL, I chose to.

Besides, most IB schools in India don't even make the Hindi-speaking students take it at A1, or even A2. Most of my IB friends in India were studying Hindi B, which was a joke for the most part. Their average was a 6.

No it's not compulsory, lots of the people in my french b class are like actually french yet they are taking SL

He should take SL and like ace that :)

btw, so lucky he's allowed to take hindi... i know like hindi, punjabi and urdu yet im forced to take this horrid french language coz our school doesn't have 'indian' options :(

gosh im so jealous....

Edited by cricketcrazynerd

Guest Zoya (aka: ziasha)

Yeah, agree with answers. I also have taken hindi since grade 1 and i have taken Sl now. and TRUST ME ITS SUPER EASY. my teacher did ask me if i wanted HL but ofcourse not.. Why miss an easy 7.. :D trust me when i say its easy especially if u have taken it since grade 1 :D..

Trust me I am (going to be hopefully) an engineer .. (9gag reference for those who don't know )

Edited by ziasha

btw, so lucky he's allowed to take hindi... i know like hindi, punjabi and urdu yet im forced to take this horrid french language coz our school doesn't have 'indian' options :(

gosh im so jealous....

You can always do a self-taught language option, you know?

Nup, our school doesnt allow that. Since it's always been compulsory to be learning a language since you start school, nearly everyone has a language B to learn (either Chinese, Indonesian, English or French) and you are expected to do that. If you havent studied a language before or don't wont to continue that language, you do Indonesian. Plus, our IB coordinator makes sure we choose something 'challenging' and suited to our level so for me, it's like nearly impossible to do anything else. Unfortunately, i've also been learning french for 7 years (and I still hate it) and so yeah. I've never learnt hindi or any of my other mother tongues at school either so teaching myself will be quite difficult :)

Edited by cricketcrazynerd

• 2 months later...

Yeah, agree with answers. I also have taken hindi since grade 1 and i have taken Sl now. and TRUST ME ITS SUPER EASY. my teacher did ask me if i wanted HL but ofcourse not.. Why miss an easy 7.. biggrin.png trust me when i say its easy especially if u have taken it since grade 1 biggrin.png..

Trust me I am (going to be hopefully) an engineer .. (9gag reference for those who don't know )

I am taking Hindi SL, and am not very good with using fancy vocabulary or "shudh hindi". Our teacher has never taught IB hindi before and there is no Hindi Beginners option. Do you know anything that might help me improve, because I honestly feel like I am at the same stage as I was 2 years ago when it comes to writing, reading etc.

We also don't have any past exam papers.. I downloaded some fom FreeExamPapers but they don't actually open up -_-

Now I am woried to think that the majority doing Hindi have studied it from a young age in India, and I havent. What do I do?

Yeah, agree with answers. I also have taken hindi since grade 1 and i have taken Sl now. and TRUST ME ITS SUPER EASY. my teacher did ask me if i wanted HL but ofcourse not.. Why miss an easy 7.. biggrin.png trust me when i say its easy especially if u have taken it since grade 1 biggrin.png..

I am taking Hindi SL, and am not very good with using fancy vocabulary or "shudh hindi". Our teacher has never taught IB hindi before and there is no Hindi Beginners option. Do you know anything that might help me improve, because I honestly feel like I am at the same stage as I was 2 years ago when it comes to writing, reading etc.

We also don't have any past exam papers.. I downloaded some fom FreeExamPapers but they don't actually open up -_-

Now I am woried to think that the majority doing Hindi have studied it from a young age in India, and I havent. What do I do?

Just coz you haven't learnt Hindi at school doesn't make you any much inferior than other people that have learnt Hindi since year 1. Yaar we NRIs (I think that's what we can call ourselves) are no less! Hindi is such a colloquial mix of Indian languages that it comes like a shock when you're expected to sound so shudh. I doubt anyone (ever my 75 year old nannu can write actual traditional hindi).

• Try watching old Hindi movies where they use really poorana zamana terms coz I guess that's probably what that shudh hindi is.
  • Talk traditional at home and try to cut on the slang. I'm sure you can find the proper way to say certain words on the net.
  • Read Indian literature- old books or something
  • Read Indian newspapers that a written in Hindi (dainik Bahaskar is something I can think of)
  • Listen to NDTV (i think that's in Hindi) yep listening to Indian news channels is always helpful coz they talk so traditionally
  • On a lighter note, being such a cricket frantic (if you don't hate cricket too much) listening to 'hindi' cricket commentary really teaches you new words (I never knew gend was ball or what bhench*d was).

Don't worry too much, read the words below and have a laugh :) Well I found them funny:

CRICKET : Gol guttam lakad battam de danadan pratiyogita

CRICKET TEST MATCH : Pakad dandu, maar mandu, de danaadan pratiyogita

TABLE TENNIS : Lakdi ke phalak shetra pe le takaatak de takaatak

LAWN TENNIS : Harit Ghaas par le tada tad, de tada tad

LIGHT BULB : Vidyut Prakashak Kanch golak

TIE : Kanth Langoti....(best one)

MATCH BOX : Ragdampatti Agni Utpaadan Peti

TRAFFIC SIGNAL : Aavat Jaavat Suchak Jhandaa

TEA : Dugdh Jal Mishrit Sharkara Yukt Parvatiya(pahaadi) Booti

TRAIN : Sahasra Chakra Louh Path Gaamini

ALL ROUTE PASS : Yatr Tatr Sarvatr Gaman Aagya Patr

RAILWAY SIGNAL : Loh Path Gamini Suchak Yantra

RAILWAY SIGNAL : Agni Rath Aava Gaman Soochak Pattika

RAILWAY SIGNAL : Louh path gaamini aawagaman suchak yantra

RAILWAY STATION : Bhabhka Adda

BUTTON : Ast Vyast Vastra Niyantrak

MOSQUITO : Gunjanhaari Manav Rakt Pipasu Jeev

CIGERETTE : Shwet patra mandit dhumra shalakha

ATOMIC MASS UNIT: Parmanvik Bhaar Ikai

• Like 1

Just coz you haven't learnt Hindi at school doesn't make you any much inferior than other people that have learnt Hindi since year 1. Yaar we NRIs (I think that's what we can call ourselves) are no less! Hindi is such a colloquial mix of Indian languages that it comes like a shock when you're expected to sound so shudh. I doubt anyone (ever my 75 year old nannu can write actual traditional hindi).

• Try watching old Hindi movies where they use really poorana zamana terms coz I guess that's probably what that shudh hindi is.
  • Talk traditional at home and try to cut on the slang. I'm sure you can find the proper way to say certain words on the net.
  • Read Indian newspapers that a written in Hindi (dainik Bahaskar is something I can think of)
  • Listen to NDTV (i think that's in Hindi) yep listening to Indian news channels is always helpful coz they talk so traditionally
  • On a lighter note, being such a cricket frantic (if you don't hate cricket too much) listening to 'hindi' cricket commentary really teaches you new words (I never knew gend was ball or what bhench*d was).

Don't worry too much, read the words below and have a laugh :) Well I found them funny:

Such a big vocabulary, really you are a multi- lingual student. I have taken Hindi HL ( from 1 to 7 I have taken Hindi, from 8-10 I have taken Sanskrit and for 11-12 I have taken Hindi once again. Still I don't have that much vocabulary as you have and which book do you use for hindi ( please don't recommend any movies as I hate it.

Edited by akash jishnu

Such a big vocabulary, really you are a multi- lingual student. I have taken Hindi HL ( from 1 to 7 I have taken Hindi, from 8-10 I have taken Sanskrit and for 11-12 I have taken Hindi once again. Still I don't have that much vocabulary as you have and which book do you use for hindi ( please don't recommend any movies as I hate it.

Please don't compliment me too much- it's off the net... My Hindi has so much punjabi mixed into it that i dont know the difference any more! Well I'm sure the person whose question I'm answering won't hate them. Bollywood films can be quite entertaining :) Edited by cricketcrazynerd

Please don't compliment me too much- it's off the net... My Hindi has so much punjabi mixed into it that i dont know the difference any more! Well I'm sure the person whose question I'm answering won't hate them. Bollywood films can be quite entertaining :)

Yeah, i dont mind, I watch bollywood movies already anyway :P Sure, some may not be the best, but some sure are funny hahaha

• Like 1