Trying so hard to decide

I'm having a hard time trying to choose between Ab Initio Japanese and Ab Initio French. The thing is that I already learned Japanese for a while and got a E certificate in J.Test, but the IB course will start from the very beginning. I don't really want to waste time in my Ab Initio class and so I'm thinking French is my other option. However I know there are a number of students in my year who have studied French before and I'm a little nervous about not catching up with them at first. I would be more than greatful if anybody can tell me what Japanese level a student is supposed to have at the end of the Ab Initio course. Is it any higher than N1? Thanks a lot for the help!

Edited by Ravenoftheknight

It's all up to you, really. Seeing that you've already done a bit of Japanese before, I would've suggested that you take up Japanese ab initio but since you said you didn't want to waste time in the Japanese ab initio class, you could take French ab initio. I'm taking French ab initio and I love it, the key thing is to stay motivated. How about you take French at the beginning and see how it suits you? At the beginning of the year, many schools allow students to change their subjects. If French doesn't suit you, you can always switch to Japanese ab initio.

All the best! :)

It's all up to you, really. Seeing that you've already done a bit of Japanese before, I would've suggested that you take up Japanese ab initio but since you said you didn't want to waste time in the Japanese ab initio class, you could take French ab initio. I'm taking French ab initio and I love it, the key thing is to stay motivated. How about you take French at the beginning and see how it suits you? At the beginning of the year, many schools allow students to change their subjects. If French doesn't suit you, you can always switch to Japanese ab initio.

All the best! :)

Thank you! It's good to know there is a chance to switch :)

Well, I took a Japanese GCSE which is roughly the same content as ab initio japanese and I got an A*/ A+ when I was 15. I now do Japanese B, which is a huge step up but I'm mastering the grammar within it and starting to do really well. Aiming for a 6 if I get 50% in the reading paper, but If I get 85% in the paper one I may scrape a 7 :)

What is it you learnt? Because what I'm fairly sure ab initio japanese will probably aim to cover:

- Content wise, there is a large focus on culture, (particularly comparing japanese culture with your own)

- Therefore comparative grammar will probably be used/learnt. I doubt you'll go into 'if you compare A and B' (A to B wo kuraberu to), but instead more likely to be dochira, ichiban x desu, A no hou ga B yori, that sort of thing. Perhaps even 'hodo', which is 'as' unless followed by a negative adjective which makes it 'not as'.

-I assume you would have learnt hiragana and katakana and an amount of kanji for your test. So yes it's safe to say you will have to sit through learning these alphabets again. However, considering how much japanese ab initio gets through in two years, I doubt they'll let this drag on for months, probably more likely the opening few weeks.

-The 3 verb types - godan ('strong'), ichidan ('weak') and irregular (ikimasu, shimasu, kimasu) and how to put them into their various forms: past, present, positive and negative. then how to put them in plain form. then how to do all of the above for plain form - ta form, nai form, katta form). How to make the te form, and its many uses in linking clauses and constructing grammar, eg permission grammar and present continuous.) Probably also some masu stem grammar and uses. eg before, easy to.

-The two adjective types - 'i' and 'na'. How rules for grammar differ between them. Usually I find that na adjectives require an extra addition than i adjectives when using in grammar. For example, 'I think' would be plain form verb or i adjective + to omoimasu. for na adjectives and nouns, it is + da to omoimasu. Leads me on to my next point that it'll probably be taught how i adjectives and plain verbs usually have one rule, and na adjectives/nouns share another.)

Probably linking adjectives and making adverbs too. eg shizuka -> shizukani, or hayai -> hayaku. Also importantly, past/present and positive/negative :P

As for kanji, it's probably only a few hundred. I had to do only about 400 for GCSE. Most likely to be centered around practical things like saying where you live, pet kanji, family member kanji, weather kanji, number kanji. also common verbs such as eat and read.

Hope this helped! It's all that could come to mind right now

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I took a Japanese GCSE which is roughly the same content as ab initio japanese and I got an A*/ A+ when I was 15. I now do Japanese B, which is a huge step up but I'm mastering the grammar within it and starting to do really well. Aiming for a 6 if I get 50% in the reading paper, but If I get 85% in the paper one I may scrape a 7 http://www.ibsurvival.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

What is it you learnt? Because what I'm fairly sure ab initio japanese will probably aim to cover:

- Content wise, there is a large focus on culture, (particularly comparing japanese culture with your own)

- Therefore comparative grammar will probably be used/learnt. I doubt you'll go into 'if you compare A and B' (A to B wo kuraberu to), but instead more likely to be dochira, ichiban x desu, A no hou ga B yori, that sort of thing. Perhaps even 'hodo', which is 'as' unless followed by a negative adjective which makes it 'not as'.

-I assume you would have learnt hiragana and katakana and an amount of kanji for your test. So yes it's safe to say you will have to sit through learning these alphabets again. However, considering how much japanese ab initio gets through in two years, I doubt they'll let this drag on for months, probably more likely the opening few weeks.

-The 3 verb types - godan ('strong'), ichidan ('weak') and irregular (ikimasu, shimasu, kimasu) and how to put them into their various forms: past, present, positive and negative. then how to put them in plain form. then how to do all of the above for plain form - ta form, nai form, katta form). How to make the te form, and its many uses in linking clauses and constructing grammar, eg permission grammar and present continuous.) Probably also some masu stem grammar and uses. eg before, easy to.

-The two adjective types - 'i' and 'na'. How rules for grammar differ between them. Usually I find that na adjectives require an extra addition than i adjectives when using in grammar. For example, 'I think' would be plain form verb or i adjective + to omoimasu. for na adjectives and nouns, it is + da to omoimasu. Leads me on to my next point that it'll probably be taught how i adjectives and plain verbs usually have one rule, and na adjectives/nouns share another.)

Probably linking adjectives and making adverbs too. eg shizuka -> shizukani, or hayai -> hayaku. Also importantly, past/present and positive/negative http://www.ibsurvival.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/tongue.png

As for kanji, it's probably only a few hundred. I had to do only about 400 for GCSE. Most likely to be centered around practical things like saying where you live, pet kanji, family member kanji, weather kanji, number kanji. also common verbs such as eat and read.

Hope this helped! It's all that could come to mind right now

Thanks! There are several things I haven't covered yet in Japanese, maybe I'll take it. It's so exciting just to think about next semester! More language!

• 2 months later...