How many practical writeups / IAs are sent to the IBO?

Abidicus

Hello,

I was wondering how many practical writeups / IAs are sent to the IBO and how they are selected.

I've done perhaps 8-10 writeups throughout my IB 'career' and have so far achieved perfect marks (I'm doing SL, perhaps that's why) for the three components for two writeups, while the rest are abysmal.

How many are submitted and how are our marks (that contribute to the overall IB Biology SL grade) calculated?

Thanks in advance.

A.

Some of the practicals you do during the IB will not be marked and thus won't contribute to your final grade, these are mainly the brief experiments which are necessary to accumulate a certain amount of hours of experimental work.

Your teacher should let you know when you are actually conducting an experiment which will be graded by him/her and moderated externally that contributes 24% to your final grade. These are generally lengthy and were called 'internals' at my school. They have three main criteria/sections: design, data collection & processing and finally conclusion and evaluation, which add up to 18 points.

Your teacher will send two of each criteria to the IB for moderation, totalling 18 + 18 = 36 points. You will be marked 6 point for your performance during experimental procedures, I cannot recall the name of the criterion for this. Lastly the final 6 marks will come from your performance in the group 4 project, thus totalling to 48. This score out of 48 is halved and contributes the 24% to your final score.

I'd consult your teacher for which (if any) of your current writeups will be sent to the IB.

Some of the practicals you do during the IB will not be marked and thus won't contribute to your final grade, these are mainly the brief experiments which are necessary to accumulate a certain amount of hours of experimental work.

Your teacher should let you know when you are actually conducting an experiment which will be graded by him/her and moderated externally that contributes 24% to your final grade. These are generally lengthy and were called 'internals' at my school. They have three main criteria/sections: design, data collection & processing and finally conclusion and evaluation, which add up to 18 points.

Your teacher will send two of each criteria to the IB for moderation, totalling 18 + 18 = 36 points. You will be marked 6 point for your performance during experimental procedures, I cannot recall the name of the criterion for this. Lastly the final 6 marks will come from your performance in the group 4 project, thus totalling to 48. This score out of 48 is halved and contributes the 24% to your final score.

I'd consult your teacher for which (if any) of your current writeups will be sent to the IB.

Hello, thanks for the reply.

Two of each criteria - does this mean 2x experiments with design, 2x experiments with DC/P, 2x experiments with CE?

Or 2x experiment writeups with design+DCP+CE?

Thanks in advance.

yes it does mean that... Although you can have more writeups where you do not need to conduct the design, but you can still be marked for DCP and CE.

basically, you need to have 2 of Design, 2 of DCP, and 2 of CE!

Sorry I'm a bit confused today - is 2x experiments: Containing design, DC/P, CE fine?

Basically any way you can get 2x of each criteria is perfectly fine. They can be two comprehensive practicals which cover all components of the criteria such as Design, DCP and CE. Alternatively, you can have individual practicals for each criteria. It doesn't matter which combination you use I believe.