Business HL IA Problem

Ok, so I've got my IA due for Business Management HL in a few weeks, but I have some problems. My teacher didn't give me the greatest feedback to work with after my draft so now I'm kinda faced with a couple problems. Ill start from the top.

1. I didn't actually use any business tools....I just kinda went with it and I didn't really feel that it needed like a SWOT or PEST analysis, or any tree or fishbone diagrams. On a scale from 1 - 10 (10 being the highest), how screwed am I if I continue with this?

2. I didn't really do any primary research. My company just sort of gave me information (a presentation one of the employees made and their P&L account for the year) and I analyzed that.

She just didn't tell me any of this was wrong after she gave back my draft. I need some help, cause I really don't wanna get screwed for this IA, what with it being worth 20% of my grade :S. Any ideas? Thanks!

Even if you don't feel the need to use business tools, it's better if you use atleast 2 of them. A SWOT analysis works in almost every IA. Moreover, there definitely must be some finance related business tools, (unless it is specifically an HR-based IA: even then there'd be some financial implications of any decision)

Go through your book and look through all the tools. I think there are about 30-35. You will definitely find something that would fit your IA.

Primary research is essential. I know of a couple of guys who didn't do much/any primary research and they ended up getting 3's and 4's.

Hey there. :)

Well, you're really screwed if you continue on with this. You NEED to have at least some sort of business tools. I didn't have a SWOT or PEST analysis in my IA so it doesn't necessarily have to be that. It all depends on your business and the problem it's facing.

You also need primary research like wireman stated. Carry out interviews or hand out some questionnaires. Things like that. And no. Analysing the PL won't count as primary research.

Do you have secondary research? Like their accounts and whatnot?

if you don't mind, what's your RQ? Maybe i can help you out from there.

• Like 1

My RQ is: Should Intigral pursue refurbishing the existing office space, leasing a new office space, or buying a new office space to tackle its spacing problem in the Riyadh branch?

And alright, I can try to get some primary research. I'm just not sure as to what I should get :S

As for secondary research, I did some price hunting to find out like hotel prices to see what they could be potentially saving by purchasing the new building. That's about it though.

Your RQ is a bit confusing to be honest. Did your B&M teacher say it was okay?

As for the Primary research, you could give out questionnaires to the employees asking for their opinions and such as shifting places affects the employees as well. You can also carry out an interview with the manager. You should have at least 2 or 3 forms of primary research.

The same goes for secondary research. You should have at least 2. Try to get their accounts to see whether they're in a financial position to purchase a new building etc.