Maths IA worth retaking?

TGIFriday

Hey, I plan on retaking several exams in IB, and maths HL is one of them. I need to get 6 from maths, and the question is, should I redo my IA tasks, because previously I got 26/40, it means a weak grade 5 from IA. What do you think? Should I redo IA, or just focus on learning/consolidating maths in order to get better results in exam? Are 26pts from IA good enough to get 6 in maths (I know it's possible, but won't it be a serious hindrance?). Doing Internal assessment tasks for the second time would take some time which could be spent on learning, and I think I still won't get higher than 32pts. So, what do you think?

To my understanding, it isn't possible to re-do your internal assessments - only to re-sit the exams. You should check with your IB Coordinator whether this is the case or not. But if it is then well - question answered! No :P If it turns out that you can then I'd definitely try to re-do the IAs because they make up a sizeable chunk of easy marks when you consider how hard the exam is. You definitely don't want them dragging your grade down before you've even sat the paper.

• Like 1

If you're doing a retake, I think it is actually possible to redo your IAs - double-check that though. I would definitely recommend retaking your IAs, simply because getting a decent IA mark means your exams don't have to be as good. Even though the difference between 26 and 32 may not seem like much, as you said, it can push you into a different band. Try putting a lot of effort into it for a week, and if it doesn't work out revert to your old IAs. A good way of viewing IAs is just as revision and extension of topics. Also, if your retake is in 2013, then it's still in the old IA format. But for 2014, it's probably a different matter.

• 1 month later...