In what ways may disagreement aid the pursuit of knowledge in the natural and human sciences?

buddah

The way I would approach it would be to take it as the arguments would cause people

to become emotional, which would cause the people to strive to learn the truth.

Truth can not be obtained from either side of an argument, but from both sides striving to prove their side it the correct side, and in turn, stumbling upon the truth by coincidence and both sides taking it upon themselves to claim they knew it all along.

In the sciences, the truth is mostly found through experiments right? So I would talk about emotion as a way of knowing and how the emotional reaction to being opposed by the other side would in turn lead them to try to actually learn the truth, even if it's unintentional. Also, it would be good to note how if either side was never adressed, they would never have any reason to doubt their stance and if it wasn't truth, or wasn't 100% true, no one would ever know because no one would be looking for the loop-holes in his reasonings.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello!

So I have picked this topic for my final TOK essay, however, I am finding it very difficult to come up with a formulated Knowledge Issue because the title is almost a Knowledge Issue within its self. Please could someone please advise me on where I should start here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry I won't be able to answer any of your questions, I'm here just to post a tip. My friend is doing this question, and recently our school had a TOK moderation session just to see if we as a whole cohort are approaching TOK 'correctly'. (The success of the moderation is debatable, but it doesn't hurt to try.) The general feedback on my friend's essay is this:

Focus on the actual disagreement of knowledge more than the pursuit of knowledge.

While it may seem simple and obvious, it doesn't hurt to know this tip explicitly.