In what ways may disagreement aid the pursuit of knowledge in the natural and human sciences?

buddah

Nope you're on the money, this is the first thread. However remember people are here to help you as distinct from doing your work for you. I'll give you some hints as to how to start coming up with your own ideas, but until you post some ideas for us to critique and help you expand on, won't feed them to you! It's YOUR diploma, after all so you should start by putting some work in.

This is actually a very easy question and the clue as to where to start is in the title (also the answers are blindingly obvious): can you think of any situation in the natural or human sciences where disagreement between two people/groups/results/ideas has led to further investigation and therefore acquisition of MORE knowledge than if everybody had agreed on things in the first place?

Hint 1: literally almost every established theory in the natural sciences has been reached and bashed out in this manner, so all you have to do is apply your brain to this to come up with loads of content for your TOK essay.

Hint 2: you may wish to consider using human sciences as a contrast (although obviously it too contains elements of truth from the question, the whole point of the TOK essay is to come up with arguments and counterarguments, the latter of which will be much easier to identify in human sciences).

Hopefully you'll find that if you've comprehended the question and just thought of a few examples, the ideas will start flowing and suddenly the answer will seem a lot easier than you initially thought. Also you will have reached them on your own :P

• Like 6

ahh I see how it works. Not a problem, the IB has prepared me to do work on my own! :)

Before I start looking, just confirming if I am correct:

Natural Sciences is like physics, chemistry, biology, astronomy etc..?

Human sciences is like psychology, economics, sociology?

(I will post later in the week with ideas I have found)

Disagreement causes adversity to those who are trying to pursue a new idea which is rejected by the mainstream. In ancient times, you could be killed for expressing ideas counter to what the ruler/religion said. Thus, disagreement, in the worst case, could get you killed, and thus would not help the pursuit of knowledge at all.

• Like 2

@Citizenoftheuniverse sorry don't know why but your example with killing sounds funny ;d anyway I disagree. The disagreement you wrote about - with mainstream - is a reason for someone in the future to dig into the topic and figure out what it was about I think. But maybe you're right or maybe it can be considered from both points of view ;D

I selected this title, and am revising it while currently writing another title in case I end up being displeased with it. I have a very strong argument for the Natural Sciences, but I'm struggling with coming up with a solid argument in the Human Sciences, due to my lack of study in that area. I was hoping someone could lend some insight into that area, and also educate me as to whether Politics would be considered a Human Science. Thank you very much in advance.

I selected this title, and am revising it while currently writing another title in case I end up being displeased with it. I have a very strong argument for the Natural Sciences, but I'm struggling with coming up with a solid argument in the Human Sciences, due to my lack of study in that area. I was hoping someone could lend some insight into that area, and also educate me as to whether Politics would be considered a Human Science. Thank you very much in advance.

I'm currently having the same issue as well after changing my chosen prescribed title to this one.

Hey! I'm writing my prescribed title right now, and want to get a second opinion on some of my ideas, just to make sure that I’m actually on to something. I also have a few questions.

Here they are:

-Disagreement usually occurs on two levels; a moral level and an ethical level (or somewhere in between that spectrum). How this question is answered (and subsequently, the counterarguments) depend on how you define "disagreement."

-Disagreement on a moral level tends to rely on emotion or perception as a way of knowing, thus making the spread of knowledge more difficult.

-Disagreement on an ethical level aids the spread of ideas without the emotional blockage, meaning that it is easier to spread knowledge and progress (even if it is through compromise).

-Both the natural and human sciences require some sort of justification, but that justification easily changes between the two types of science.

For the moral level example, I was thinking of talking about the current elections that just happened in the states. Being somewhat liberal in a rather conservative society, I have loads of stories about super republicans/whackjobs. I also could talk about the creationism argument. I have loads on that. This would also be where I talk about the human sciences.

Still not sure about the natural science/ethical example. Any suggestions?

And are the two types of disagreement enough of a counterexample against each other that I don'’t need any other counterexample? Or do I need to have counterexamples within both types of disagreement separately?

One more thing: Do I have to talk about both types of science in both types of disagreement? Or since I plan on claiming that human sciences tend to be more of a moral thing and natural sciences more of an ethical thing, can I just talk about each type of science in their respective disagreement? Is that claim not really worth even making?

That's it. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for the help, by the way. I'm new-ish here, and have difficulty keeping things short.

I have a question. Do I need to both argument and counter-argument for each AoW separately, or may I use Natural Sciences as my main arguments and just counter-argument with Human Sciences?

My TOK teacher teaches us the argument, counterargument route, because TOK is basically a great big question of how do we know what we know. So to get higher marks it would be easier to do this by looking at both the pros and cons, fallacies and strengths of your AOK or WOK.

would politics be considered a human science?

Yes, politics is considered a human science. Human sciences try to understand human nature more by studying human behavior, society and social relationships.

To anyone who is confused about what IB considers a 'human science'. Human sciences are meant to investigate and understand human behavior and the human nature. Examples are: psychology, sociology, anthropology, law, economics and politics.

In my opinion the IB DOES NOT consider history and literature as a human sciences, but as a separate areas of knowledge.

Edited by norsul

I think I found a nice example of how disagreement aids the pursuit of knowledge in the HUMAN sciences - law. The whole point of the system is that the accuser and the accused (don't know the proper names for these, but you know what I mean) are allowed to argue, and this argument helps the judge or the jury to build up knowledge of the situation and come out with a verdict.

EDIT: Nevermind, this was a horrible idea. Sorry for posting this.

Edited by norsul

Hi everyone. Im doing tok essay 2013 question 1 and am about to do my first draft. i have to submit my 1st draft by early january. i have few problems in continuing my essay. first of all, based on my own personal understanding, the question 1 is about how disagreement can help us to gain knowledge? after gone through short discussion with my friends, they have different views on this topic. they claimed that this topic is asking us to explain on what are the ways that helps us to gain knowledge which cause disagreement? i couldnt understand the meaning they are trying to convey. so, friends, help me to be clear on what is this topic about.

anyway, can i write my essay on different approaches of disagreement?