[NOV12] Physics HL Paper 1 and 2

HorribleHenry

I waiting to open this thread :P Yeah, paper 1 was a joke. Paper 2 wasn't so insane, but still I only got to do 76% of the exam XD Hopefully the grade boundaries are low ... I really need that 7 for uni .___. Should've studied more instead of cramming for History...

Hey, what are the usual boundaries?

I loved paper 1 so much! I honestly think I made no mistakes, which translates to 2 or 3 mistakes caused by mis-reading the questions. Paper 2 was pretty nasty... the conveyor belt question was pretty confusing. I think (and i'm making wild assumptions here) that based on the difficulty of this paper the boundary for a 7 will probably be something like 68%, for a 6 you probably will need something like 55% or so... and that's just based on comparing this paper with past papers I did...

what section B questions did you guys do? I did the first two (the one with the rockets and thermal gas expansion stuff and the nuclear physics one)... interested to see what other people got for the orbital speed of that rocket

why take history when you can take economics? XD so much easier. you can mostly wing it as long as you know what you're talking about. or at least sound like you do.

Yeah I completely agree that Paper 1 was fine but Paper 2 was disgusting, definitely harder than any I've ever done. Like normally the Section A Motion questions are fine, but this year even those were really difficult. Definitely hoping for lower grade boundaries (and that'll probably be the case).

Like you, HorribleHenry, I did the first two section B questions. I had no idea what to do for the orbital speed of the rocket, and I don't remember what I got anyway. I found B2 to be quite doable (apart from the Faraday's Law question, but that's because I never understood it lol) but eh, ah well.