Tips for analysing a musical piece?

GirlwiththeBlueBox

Question is pretty self-explanatory. Right now, my hardest subject by far is IB Music; I just can't seem to write everything I want to say without it sounding like an utter mess. I'm terrified that I'll get a 3 or a 4 on the exam. Does anyone here have any tips for analysing a piece of music?

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Thanks for your reply! But how would you specifically analyse the musical elements of the piece? Whenever we do blind listenings in class, there's just so much going on that as soon as I write something down, I've missed part of the song and we'll only listen to it 2-3 times, so I never have enough time to write. Yes, I know I'll basically have 2 hours on the exam to write about the pieces, but still. What do you listen for when you are analysing musical elements of a piece? :)

You should practice for a REAL exam. Get an iPod...or something with that draggable thingy, and take 30 mins to listen, analyze and write something.

Usually, I go for musical details, then structure, then context. Sometimes I miss the tiny bits, but the overall message, I usually get.

EDIT (added by Gaby):

By the way, what kind of music have you listened to already? It'd be a good idea to build a database of different cultural contexts...

Sorry, I wasn't talking about music history. For that, I'm on the same page as you.

Let me rephrase: what kind of blind listening did you do?

Our teacher decided to draw random songs from the "World Music" section of Naxos...so I can't really expect anything thematic in blind listening choices.

...so you've never listened to or analyzed jazz (and its variants) pieces? Nor rock (and its variants) nor pop (and its variants).?

Well, I was thinking of dividing everything into 3 broad sections: ancient, traditional, and modern. Three different time categories to work with before we can distinguish different musical cultures. Modern music is going to be the worst to deal with...or the easiest.

It's only a starting point anyway. Do you want to build a music culture database with me?

• 3 months later...