IB Maths HL - FT marks question

GabrielBianconi

Hi guys. I'm doing my IB exams right now. I've done math P1 and P2 already.

Can anyone answer me something about FT marks?

In the complex numbers question in Part B (P1, it's been way more than 24h), I made a silly mistake about the value of z2 (this was (b) I think) :dontgetit:. But this value is used in the rest of the question (19 marks I think :eek:, up to (e)). So, even if I lose the two marks for z2, will I get everything else for the rest assuming I did it correctly (using the false value)? :question:

Thanks!

In the complex numbers question in Part B (P1, it's been way more than 24h), I made a silly mistake about the value of z2 (this was (b) I think) :dontgetit:. But this value is used in the rest of the question (19 marks I think :eek:, up to (e)). So, even if I lose the two marks for z2, will I get everything else for the rest assuming I did it correctly (using the false value)? :question:

Thanks!

Yeah I believe if your method is correct in the following parts of the question, using your incorrect value, then you won't lose any additional marks apart from the A0 in that specific step.

Don't worry about it, paper 1 was quite difficult so the boundaries ought to be lower than usual hopefully.

Finished math completely now! Relief, haha.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Yeah I believe if your method is correct in the following parts of the question, using your incorrect value, then you won't lose any additional marks apart from the A0 in that specific step.

Don't worry about it, paper 1 was quite difficult so the boundaries ought to be lower than usual hopefully.

Finished math completely now! Relief, haha.

Actually, I think that P1 was easier than usual :) Maybe this is a good sign haha

Hopefully I'll lose but a few marks in that question then... Let's see tomorrow my P3 (sets).

Thanks for replying.

Edited by GabrielBianconi

HEy how was paper 1 and paper 2 and wat would u advise to revise ? im doing it in a bit as practice before my may exams. ANy questions which were particularly hard?

P1 was easier than usual, but P2 was harder. P3 (sets) was easy, but you had to work really fast. I mean, really, really, fast.

There was less probability and statistics in P1, but a lot in P2. I think most of the syllabus was tested, overall. Calculus was harder than usual, but statistics (distributions) was easier.

Yeah, you will get points for that. As long as the working is correct, and that the wrong number from before doesn't change the question so that it becomes easier, you will get points. You can only be penalized once for making a mistake like this in a question.

Would be amazing if you can reply asap :D

Personally, found paper 1 to be quite messy and inconvenient, not very difficult though, but in my opinion more difficult than May. In comparison, paper 2 was much more straightforward and enjoyable, and reasonably simple. Paper 3 (Series and differential equations) was actually really easy but as Gabriel indicated the paper was also uncharacteristically lengthy, and you needed to work at a reasonable pace to finish comfortably. We had to draw like three graphs which is more than the course has ever asked for combined for like all years :P But it was really fun! :D Especially the last question with the methodical proof of convergence, partial fraction decomposition, telescoping series and and the limit of x^(x).

Edit: And what was up with the 10 step Euler method? :o That's insanity! How boring...

Edited by Hus

Paper 1 was very .. unusual. I think the grade boundaries will go down for it. Paper two was by far more standard - the normal stuff were asked.

.. But being a maths geek paper 1 was a by far more interesting paper than 1. lol. ..'cept i didn't exactly finish. either of them, really.

Sets was a long paper. I got annoyed with the Cayley table with 190759301759027521 {}s.

• 1 month later...

hey guys, im going to be doing the nov 2012 math hl paper 2 as my semester exam, due to certain complications, this will be the only thing i will be graded on this semester and therefore has a great value.

can someone please tell me where i can get my hands on this paper, if not, can you outline the sub topics (as specifically as possible) that were covered in the exam

btw, im in 11 math hl so this is a craze!!