English A1 SL - Paper 1 - November 2012

IB Failing

How did everyone else find Paper 1 in English A1 SL? Just thought I'd start this to see how other SL students thought of the paper, and what you might have picked up.

Not sure about the prose (barely looked at it to be honest) but I thought that the poem was OK (in comparison to previous papers at least), there was plenty to discuss.

• Like 1

Did the prose, wasn't really able to find a unifying principle in the poem upon the first few readings so I stuck with the prose.

There was actually quite a lot to discuss in the prose: the concept of dreams and their attainment or failure, the contrast between Joe's current dreary life and his former extravagant lifestyle as a character almost, the humour and suspense generated through the taunts/warnings and his response to the smart-Alec, the poignant philosophical conclusion and Joe's humiliation and fleeing from the town, the satirical response of the public to his dream, attempting to undermine it etc.

i thought that the poem was weird...does anyone remember what it was about?

i liked the prose, it was much easier to relate to and write about it. I'm wrote about humans having dreams and aspirations, nevertheless your age and stuff and who society may limit people achieving dreams and stuff and how society puts on pressure on them. does that sound right (in a way)?

Edited by m&m.

Maybe I should have given the prose another chance; I've tended to write my commentaries on prose until recently, as all of the analysis done on Paper 2 poems has allowed me to improve my analysis of poems in general. I focused upon the relationship between the woman and the cat, exploring how the poet expresses this relationship in an inverted manner to allow the reader to see equality between human and animal. Many of the techniques in the poem related to the personification of the cat, and the imagery and tone linked back to how the poet was aiming to portray the cat as an equal.

But yes, the poem was quite unusual and simplistic in a way, but I still thought there were many techniques hidden in it that could be related and analysed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...