Stroop experiment: appropriate measures of central tendency and dispersion?

Floflow

Hello,

I replicated Stroop's experiment and now I am asked to calculate "appropriate measures of central tendency and dispersion" for my two conditions/trials.

The problem is that I really don't know which is appropriate for my experiment! The teacher gave us this page: http://easycalculation.com/statistics/statistics.php but there are so many!

I did a repeated measures design and I am now with, for each participant, the time spent on a 1st task and the time spent on a 2nd task. The aim of the experiment is basically to see the difference between the two...

Could somebody help me finding out which calculations to do and why? :S

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that is a lot of options! I will try to break this down without sounding too nerdy.

Since your dependent variable is time, your data is is at the interval/ratio level and the measure of central tendency to use is the mean. You don't really have to know why you need to use the mean for interval/ratio data but a simple answer is that it should best represent the average value in the data set.

The measure of dispersion to use is standard deviation. Standard deviation tells you how far way the scores are from the mean if you assume a normal distribution (99% of the scores fall within 3 standard deviations of the mean average).

You can also choose to report the range which is just the maximum value minus the minimum value.

Good luck with your IA :).