Taking the AP Psych test

citizenoftheuniverse

So... As many of you probably already know, many universities don't give credit for SL courses, whereas they give credit for AP. I take Psychology SL, and I was wondering whether you guys would advise me to take the AP test. I know that in reality, if I really need to do a lot of extra studying for it, I probably won't have the motivation for it. Would you say SL covers most of the material needed for the test? Our psychology teacher, who also teaches AP, said that he used to say that IB students are well prepared for the test, but then many students failed and he doesn't say that any more. I think it'll look bad if I take the test and it doesn't go well, and there's the wasted money as well. I also probably won't have the motivation to memorise loads of extra material if AP is drastically different. However, one reason to take it is that I am a pretty good test taker, especially in multiple choice, so potentially it could go pretty well. So what is your experiance? Would I have to learn a lot of new material for the AP test, or is it mainly things I should have studied in the IB?

Note: I have not taken the AP Psychology exam nor have I finished Psychology SL

However, I do know my teacher has the same attitude when it comes to the AP exam, telling students straight up that they would not be able to pass the AP exam with just the knowledge of IB Psychology as he says the topics covered are very different in some cases.

Wikipedia and the College Board website have the topics covered, allowing you to view the different topics covered in AP Psychology and see if you think you'll be able to pass the AP exam.

If you are serious about taking AP Psychology then I would suggest FLVS Global which allows you to take AP Psychology online at your own pace so you can cover all the topics in the course. http://flvs.net/areas/flvscourses/Pages/Course%20Catalog/CourseListing-OutofState.aspx?CourseID=1127

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am interested in getting some feedback on this as well. I am one term into DP1 Psychology HL and I am considering taking the AP psychology test, since they do not have a psych SAT subject test and I want to include it on my university application.

Seeing as I am only 1 term into DP1, I am worried I lack enough information to take an AP test on psychology.