Is Math Studies enough for Medical or Business School?

Zoe Brooks

I am currently in my first year of IB but my school requires a Precalculus class as a prerequisite for IB Maths SL or higher, so I am in this class right now and doing IB Maths next year. However, I am doing really badly in this class and I was wondering if I should drop it and do IB Maths Studies instead (which doesn't require a prerequisite).

I am planning to go into Medicine or Business in Asia (Singapore, HK) or Australia, not UK or US. Will Maths Studies be sufficient?

My subjects are:

HL Eng A1

HL Chem

HL Bio

SL Mandarin B

SL Psychology

Actually, I have never heard of a medical school that accepts Math Studies. Never. I may be wrong, but I highly doubt that's even possible. Even Med schools in 3rd world countries don't accept math studies.

You should have certain universities in mind. Check the websites, it should have all the admission requirements.

Here's some of the IB-specific requirements for med at some Australian unis.

UNSW: Minimum score required: 37/45 (you'll need much higher!). Assumed knowledge: English.

University of Adelaide: Minimum ATAR: 90. Prerequisites: One of Maths (equivalent to SL), Chemistry or Biology.

Monash University: English A1 - minimum score is 4 in HL. Chemistry - minimum score is 4 in HL.

University of Queensland: OP1 required.

University of Sydney: Undergrad is only a combined course, with ATAR 99.95 (except Music-Med), but realistically only a 45 gets you in. Maths required for commerce/eco/science + medicine combined degree.

James Cook Uni: Successful completion of English, Chem and Maths B; Maths B in QLD = Maths HL or SL :(.

There's many more, but usually Maths isn't required. However, for all universities you need a very good IB score to be competitive of course. Also, are you applying as an international student to Australia?