How should I go about recording hours for CAS?

Mason

I just recently got started with my CAS activities and am very worried as to whether I am doing the recording right or wrong. If it's not too much of a bother, would somebody mind posting either an example of how they recorded their CAS hours or perhaps an outline? Or of course you could post both.... Thank you.

It depends what your school accepts. CAS isn't regulated strictly (I think), so it does depend on your school guidelines. For my school, my CAS reflections are just word documents where we write up a couple sentences every time we do the activity or a Weekly Log (depending on how long you do it for), as well as little paragraphs of our thoughts before and after​ the activities, and we can add photos to show we've actually done it.

Remember you need to mention the 8 CAS Criteria, since you can't just fulfil 150 hours and be done with it:

• Objective 1: Increased their awareness of their own strengths and areas for growth
  • Objective 2: Undertaken new challenges
  • Objective 3: Planned and initiated activities
  • Objective 4: Worked collaboratively with others
  • Objective 5: Shown perseverance and commitment in their activities
  • Objective 6: Engaged with issues of global importance
  • Objective 7: Considered the ethical implications of their actions
  • Objective 8: Developed new skills

Some of these won't apply to every CAS activity (e.g. you go to the gym to run on a treadmill - how is that working collaboratively with others?), and you must have done objectives 6 and 7 at least once during your CAS activities.

I just recently got started with my CAS activities and am very worried as to whether I am doing the recording right or wrong. If it's not too much of a bother, would somebody mind posting either an example of how they recorded their CAS hours or perhaps an outline? Or of course you could post both.... Thank you.

This is what I did, maybe it can give you some ideas.

• Creativity: I take dance classes approx 1x a week so I gather the receipts and add pictures or videos to prove that I dance. I also asked my dance instructor to sign this word document I typed, explaining I attended his class for a period of 2yrs.
  • Action: I go to the gym. Last year, for gr. 11, I had a personal trainer so I asked her to sign a similar word document as mentioned above. I also have the "Course" plan of things I did each time I saw her (which was 2x a week).
  • Service: I volunteer at this organization. Every time I come in, we will out this time log of when and what day we came in. I photocopied this to give it to my CAS Supervisor.

Its honestly not that hard. Just get pictures, a signature (of someone who is 18yrs +) Make sure that your activities correspond to the objectives written in the IB Guide and write a 1page reflection for each activity. Hope that helps :)

Edited by funny10sport