Switching to Math HL

KeyGrip_Chris

Hello, I am currently in a path to take Math SL (next year I suppose), and I am taking Pre-Cal right now, my junior year. Does the Math HL course assume that you have already taken Pre-Cal sophomore year or is the subject material different from that of a basic SL course? I am interested in a dual major in Economics and Math so I am trying to figure out what will be in my best interest. My other classes include History HL, Economics HL, English HL, Physics SL, and Spanish SL.

If you want to take Maths HL then you should take Physics HL, not Physics SL..

Not necessarily. Some people love maths but despise physics.

Maths HL includes everything that Maths SL includes, plus more.

Yes, "some".

I could say like this. IB physics is not meant to consist of hard maths. Therefore, anyone should be able to study physics HL without having to take Math HL. However, If you have chosen to study Math HL, and Physics, then of course you should take Physics HL since it would make your life so much easier! Mathematics has developed my thinking alot.

/ Adam, :blowkiss:

Your choices are alright and I would strongly advise against taking Maths and a Science at HL (even Physics) If you want to make your IB life 'easier'. Especially if you do not actually need the science. Prior knowlegde and the knowing the basics will definately work in your favour. The tricky bit is actually recognising where and how you can apply the information, which is what makes maths seem difficult. Basically it could potentially help knowing the stuff, but at the same time that's just a start.

I was in math HL last year, and I has to switch to SL because the stress was too much. I handled HL topics pretty well, but the tests were harder and the practice work was much more time consuming. SL is pretty breezy, but I'm still getting my math credits for college if i get a 6 or 7. So my advice is: Don't take HL unless you're very good at handling stress. Because that might be the class that pushes you over the edge :P

None of these classes actually needs "precal," though since precal is such an integral part of the typical math track in highschool, you should be fine regardless. There's nothing else you should need.

Do keep in mind that unless you need Math HL for uni or smthn or just love math for the sake of it, SL is plenty challenging.