Medicine - what else should I do?

JuliaCivetta

Hey! I am in pre-IB and I would like to study Medicine. My next year subject choices are: bio HL chemistry HL English B HL Polish SL Philosophy SL Math SL. My dream universities are UCL, Edinburgh, Oxford or Imperial (well I was also thinking about Cambridge, but they require Math HL...). I was wondering what should I do, apart from having perfect grades? Any particular extracurriculars? How hard is it to get to those universities?

thanks!

Try taking English A if you can do it. I mean, you get a bilingual diploma which is a plus. Lang&Lit HL isn't even that difficult. Its very logical.

Most Polish schools do not offer English A. And you get a bilingual diploma even with Polish A and other subjects in English. Taking English A as a non-native (it is designed for natives, Lang&Lit as well!) may result in a lower grade, which is not a good situation when applying for a competitive course, such as Medicine.

My school offers English A, however I think it would be too much for me. I'm in the best english group now, but I'm not a native speaker.

Have you read the guide on applying to medicine in the UK?

To answer your questions:

Volunteering would help.

Very.

I've read some guides, also about BMAT. Are you talking about any particular?

See if you can shadow some medical people, it might be easier if you have connections like family friends or family. You could volunteer at old age homes as well. See if there are any medicine taster -ish courses available around you. For example, The University of Nottingham offers a medical taster workshop conference called medsim: http://www.workshop-uk.net/medsim

Similar conferences are medsix, and medlink.

Obviously since you're in Poland Im not suggesting you come to these conferences, but you could ask your IB coordinator or research around to find similar conferences (nearer to you) which may potentially strengthen your application.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! I am in pre-IB and I would like to study Medicine. My next year subject choices are: bio HL chemistry HL English B HL Polish SL Philosophy SL Math SL. My dream universities are UCL, Edinburgh, Oxford or Imperial (well I was also thinking about Cambridge, but they require Math HL...). I was wondering what should I do, apart from having perfect grades? Any particular extracurriculars? How hard is it to get to those universities?

thanks!

Do volunteering, as previously stated, and write your EE in biology because they will ask for relevant essays. Also, be nice to your teacher and make them write you a really good personal statement.

write your EE in biology because they will ask for relevant essays

To my knowledge, none of the Universities you named (and tbh no UK Universities) will ask you for relevant essays in order to get into Medicine. If you have one, then fine, bring it along and see if you can persuade them to look at it, but otherwise it is not important that you do an EE in Biology, Chemistry or anything like that.

• 3 months later...

I also want to do Medicine in the future, so I recommend taking Chemistry HL. My subject choices are Math, Chemistry, and Biology HL. English, French, and Economics/Psychology SL. I would recommend that when you do extra-curricular activities, try taking up leadership roles. Also, it is advisable to not just focus on Human Biology, but do other things that involve areas such as Physical Education or Environments. That gives the impression of being an all-rounded showing that you are able to tackle various problems.

• 3 weeks later...