Visual Arts Theme

jess.kk

So I just started the HL B Visual Arts course, and I'm really confused about having themes. Should I be talking about it in my workbook? or do I just go with it and talk about how it developed in my works later? My teacher says I don't need a theme, but it sounds like it would help a lot with coming up with ideas and such...

My theme is perspective/reality.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Mention the theme of your work for sure. See if you can make a mind-map of the theme at the beginning and just brainstorm your ideas, whether or not they relate.

Then you can keep referring to these base ideas in the future if you are stuck at any point.

The good thing about having a theme is that you can always incorporate it somehow into your work. Also, this way when the examiner looks at your work, he/she will be able to see the links and connections throughout your work which is a really good thing.

Mention the theme at the start and explain that you would like to branch out and develop new ideas from it. Then when you do get to that part, bring back the theme and relate it to the work.

Have fun and enjoy it!

Let me know if you need any more help :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I just started the HL B Visual Arts course, and I'm really confused about having themes. Should I be talking about it in my workbook? or do I just go with it and talk about how it developed in my works later? My teacher says I don't need a theme, but it sounds like it would help a lot with coming up with ideas and such...

My theme is perspective/reality.

Having a theme will really help you organize your ideas in a coherent manner. This way you can have a clear idea of what you want to do and where you want to go from here. When the IB examiner comes and examines your workbook, they will be able to see your development from the beginning to the end. So I suggest you do it and write/draw everything you do in your workbook! Its good evidence that YOU did your work and not someone else! :)

When you have a theme, it is a lot easier to link your artwork to other subjects, such as TOK. And that is a great help!

Hope this helps

Funny10sport

Edited by funny10sport

• 1 month later...

Trust me on this. I teach IB Art - Choosing a THEME will utimately make your life easier in IB Art because by doing so, you will have a path to follow rather than trying to find "interesting stuff" willy nilly. Just make sure it's a good THEME to pursue. "Perspective" has some good possibilities. Start at the beginning: Take a look at how the Ancient Egyptians delt with issues in perspective.

According to my teacher, it is better to have a theme and your studio work should relate to your theme.

If you see the criteria or the mark scheme, there are a lot of entities about theme. So I think it is important to show the theme and explain in your IW