HL Mandarin and Cantonese B

zexing

I am currently taking Mandarin B at the moment and my exam is coming up in May 2013. For my class we didn't really have a set of materials specifically from IB but we do emphasize a lot on how to construct essays and oral presentations for the exam. So I think you should look more into the structure of a 议论文 and practice your two minute orals a lot.

• 1 month later...
Guest HayashiEsme

Does anyone know of any officially endorsed textbooks though? It'd be helpful if we had a better idea of what they expect of us beyond the hints they drop us in the exam:(

Also, am I the only one who would rejoice at a Hokkien option? The fact that I have to take Mandarin in replacement is aching me:(

Hi! Are there any textbooks that you recommend getting for Mandarin and Cantonese B? Also is there a curriculum online?

I didn't use any textbooks for Cantonese, I am taking it as I already know the language.

It's easy to learn when your city is filled with immigrants and you work in Chinatown and have an interest in the language yourself.

(That is the case in my learning)

• 4 weeks later...

In Hong Kong, one of the most popular books used to teach Chinese as a second language is Chinese Made Easy.

At our school, we use Easy Steps to Chinese Volume 5 for Mandarin B SL at DP level.

However, these two books were not exactly written for IB, so teachers normally have to prepare extra materials for use in class.

• 3 months later...

thank you (:

are there certain topics that you have to learn or is it just gain as much knowledge as you can in the next two years or both?

Sorry for the late reply. We are doing our exams very soon, and apparently we DO have to focus on certain topics. (But they are usually covered in class anyways, so I am not too stressed about it :P)

The three topics that we are supposed to focus on are :

-Communication and Media

-Global Issues

-Social Relationships

http://www.ibo.org/diploma/assessment/subjectoutlines/documents/d_2_ablan_gui-out_1102_1_e.pdf

The above link further explains the syllabus of every language B.

Hope this helps :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hello :)

for my school, we use easy steps to chinese as textbook. imho, that textbook is okay, not the best to learn chinese.

for novels, i am not quite sure which ones you have to read. i say it'd be better to read a novel that interests you.

since im taiwanese, i've read a whole bunch already :D

if you like old chinese sword fighting, i'd say read romance of the three kingdoms. you can also read journey to the west. oh and wuxia ones are good too :D

i hope this helps :D

• 2 months later...

I'm doing Mandarin B HL and my teacher has absolutely no idea on how to teach it or what to do. For the 2 novels, does it have to be a novel written from someone fromo China? Because I am now reading "You are the apple of my eye" a.k.a Na xie nian and it is written by a Taiwanese dude.