History IA Topic

Aditya Chawla

Wow... I don't think there's a rule against it (to my knowledge) but it's a really bad idea. Are you sure he/she wants you to pick a question and copy it exactly for your RQ? Maybe they just want you to get a feel for what the RQ is supposed to look like. Either way, probably not the best idea. The IB wants you to be original and if you send in one of their past questions as your History IA they'll probably notice (and not in a good way).

I checked the papers from the specific years, and they have been copied verbatim; and they even show the answers in the mark scheme! She is "recommending" every student to choose from the list, and I think the rest of the class unequivocally believes her when she says that. I want to make sure I have adequate evidence before I approach her about this problem.

My teacher did something similar, but her reasoning was that:

1. She wanted us to keep it strictly a 'modern history' topic and not stray from that. I think she didnt want us to make an extended response to the question, or to make that our research questions. But more to adapt our ideas to an 'ib approved' focus using their command terms-
  2. She also wanted us to TRY to stay within the syllabus we were covering, to assist with our final study.

But I agree with the other comments, I think responding directly to exam questions as your research questions isn't appropriate.