Chinese IBSL Textbook/Workbook recommendations?

Hello all.

My school does not offer a textbook specifically made for Chinese IBSL. Does anyone here have recommendations on what textbook I can purchase online to guide me towards the exam? I'm from America, so IB is fairly new here.

Also, any advice on the exam? Is it in complete Chinese? I have been learning traditional characters, will I also need to know simplified? Thank you. Help is appreciated!

Well I've had a look through a few textbooks and none actually are made specifically for Mandarin B SL, however our school has used the 4th and 5th Chinese Made Easy textbooks and workbooks. You can find it online, and it deals with a rather large range of topics that might help in the exam. Despite this, the exercises in these books aren't really like they are in Paper I so you really want to do some past papers to improve, including past essay questions. The CME books cover quite a few of the common topics though, and it's been recommended on other sites.

Your other questions: Both papers are written only in Chinese, including the questions. Each paper is split into two, with the first half being in Simplified and the latter being in Traditional, so there's no real need to know Simplified if you're more comfortable with Traditional.

- Just checked, CME is available in both Simplified or Traditional versions if you wanted to know.

Well I've had a look through a few textbooks and none actually are made specifically for Mandarin B SL, however our school has used the 4th and 5th Chinese Made Easy textbooks and workbooks. You can find it online, and it deals with a rather large range of topics that might help in the exam. Despite this, the exercises in these books aren't really like they are in Paper I so you really want to do some past papers to improve, including past essay questions. The CME books cover quite a few of the common topics though, and it's been recommended on other sites.

Your other questions: Both papers are written only in Chinese, including the questions. Each paper is split into two, with the first half being in Simplified and the latter being in Traditional, so there's no real need to know Simplified if you're more comfortable with Traditional.

- Just checked, CME is available in both Simplified or Traditional versions if you wanted to know.

My classmate used Chinese Made Easy book 4/5 you can try that. But I'l recommend you to look for other books as well. :)

Thank you both for the help. :) Do you know a good website to find these books though? I am trying Amazon.

Well Amazon has the Workbook + Textbook for around USD$50, but you could also buy the book straight from chinesemadeeasy.co.uk for about £33. I'm not sure what's better since I ordered my books from a textbooks supplier here.

Thanks again for the links. Last question: Do you recommend I get the textbook or workbook?

• 2 months later...
Guest HayashiEsme

Interesting! We used that book for the Grade 10 Foreign Language class. Not to take anything away from that book. Though it has to be said that the teacher never used it in the end

If you haven't already brought the books yet , there's this awesome website that stocks the Chinese Made Easy books (childbook) .I think they do free shipping within America. I sometimes think the book's are a bit tedious....... but they do teach you a lot of vocab, useful phrases and all about china's culture

Just for your consideration, there's another series called easy steps to chinese by the same authors. I've seen the first book and the formatting is so much better then chinese made easy and it's seems more targeted at beginners .... instead of 5 books it's got 8. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for so much help guys :) Final question...

does anyone know what the score brackets are? Like % to % for a 1, % to % for a 2, etc...trying to calculate what minimum score I should aim for on my Mandarin SL exam (not positive thinking but it's going to be my hardest IB exam).

The grade boundaries are not pre-set, they emerge after the exams are checked. Normally, you can check the ones from previous years, but the syllabus changed so they may differ this year.