veeshere

Hi, I'm a rising senior and a prospective applicant. A lot of the more prestigious schools seem to value research papers and lab reports written during internships, etc and I was wondering if anyone knew/had opinions on an EE being valid material to send in? As most IBers would know, a lot of supervisors and teachers consider the EE as a piece of pretty legit research writing (...for high schoolers), it's 4000 words of concentrated analysis. Would it be considered appropriate?

If it helps, I'm writing mine in English Literature. I'm not going to apply as a lit major though, most likely something related to sustainability and environmentalism (something like EnvEng or environmental studies and economics). The EE is something IBers pore over the holidays and what not, so it would be great news for me if I could show something I'm genuinely proud of to someone other than the examination board. Any opinions would be immensely helpful -- especially so if anyone knows about sending in the EE elsewhere e.g. other Ivies, top LACs.

Thanks in advance!

I was told by my counsellor that you only send in your EE if it's FANTASTIC. As in, really amazing. This is because if it isn't that good, the Admission Office already have enough to read without having to go through a so-so EE (which actually might be detrimental to your admission since it shows your writing). And I think the subject you are writing it in doesn't matter as much as UK admissions does (writing an EE in the subject you're applying in the UK shows your passion), but the good thing about your EE in Eng Lit is that it shows you can analyse and write well.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...