yomanyomo

Hi guys, I've changed my IB classes and now I'm taking:

HL English: Language and Literature

HL Psychology

HL Film Studies

SL French B

SL Math Studies

SL Chemistry

is there any career that would get along with this combination? I can't think of one :/

Maybe Media?

I chose these subjects according to my interests and it is going to be my final decision.

Thanks! :D

Obviously, you could do anything that doesn't require any specific subjects and just a fixed amount of points. With English HL you could do literature in uni, with Psychology you could become a psychologist/psychiatrist but I don't know which uni's require film studies (is it considered a soft subject?). I don't think your subject combination is clearly chosen for any certain career.

Since you take both English HL and Film HL, you could be a director or script writer or something to do with media. Psychology's kind of like out there and I don't really know how to combine it with english and film, but maybe since you also take Psychology HL, I guess it would be pretty cool to use that knowledge to make those kinds of psychological thrillers and stuff. Just a suggestion :)

• Like 1

I'd advise against choosing your career based on what IB courses you take. It seems like it should be the other way around. Have an idea of what you want to do in the future and choose your IB courses accordingly.

Of course, it seems like you don't have one specific idea of what you want to do as a career, which is perfectly fine at this point in your life. The courses you take for IB should not decide your entire future. Study a wide variety of subjects, in school or otherwise (e.g. you don't seem very interested in math/sciences, but who knows, keep an open mind and don't close any doors completely) and see what interests you enough to pursue it as a career.

• Like 1

I'd advise against choosing your career based on what IB courses you take. It seems like it should be the other way around. Have an idea of what you want to do in the future and choose your IB courses accordingly.

Of course, it seems like you don't have one specific idea of what you want to do as a career, which is perfectly fine at this point in your life. The courses you take for IB should not decide your entire future. Study a wide variety of subjects, in school or otherwise (e.g. you don't seem very interested in math/sciences, but who knows, keep an open mind and don't close any doors completely) and see what interests you enough to pursue it as a career.

I agree. The point of the IB requiring you to take certain classes essentially ensures that you'll be well-rounded enough that you might find something you truly enjoy and choose it as a career.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm actually interested in Business related stuff. I did economics last year, it was fine but I'd rather do Psychology.

At first I wanted to do languages in uni, but taking French B HL would be too much for me...but I actually find SL easy.

My school doesn't offer business...so I had to choose according to what I'm interested in. In fact, I (we) have no idea what classes are like in university, so choosing a subject according to your dream career (now) may be risky. We change our minds all the time.

For example, a lot of people want to do Engineering or Medicine, obviously they've never had engineering or medical classes before so they don't really know what its REALLY like. All they know is that they want to do it. So they get out there and take Chemistry and Biology at HL or Maths and Physics at HL. And bam, hell. This is why people find the IB hard.

So IMO, people should take the classes they're interesting or to their strengths when it comes to the IB. You'll probably end up doing that in uni, solely cause you enjoy the subject :)

but yeah in conclusion...i'm interested in business and languages. Should I do International Business as a major and modern languages as a minor? I don't need any specific classes for that anyway :) what do you think?

Hahaha. I chose film cuz I really enjoy the class.. I know that its a "soft subject" to some extent, but I just want to get good grades and actually enjoy it. So I think I'll stick with film. In fact, I'm going to the states in the future and they don't really care what you take in high school.