Math Studies IA

Megan95xoxo

Hi, I am getting ready to start my Math Studies IA, and I was wondering if this seems like a good project to pursue. I know the rules, and I am not asking for help in getting data or anything like that, I'm just looking for comments regarding if this is a good topic or not :-)

Hypothesis:

If you are a gymnast, then you will have a higher chance of stunted growth and bone damage.

Thoughts?

~Megan~

• 3 weeks later...

Is there actually a way for you to collect data on this? I remember with mine (I did a chi square test) I had to collect data from 5 different groups. If you choose to do this, you have to find a way to collect legitimate data (either from a report or from people you know-- this might be difficult to conduct research on). There are so many variables that affect this question; for example, after how many years will this change be documented? You'd have to collect data from gymnasts all the same age in order to make it constant. My advice? Pick something simpler.

I think your topic is interesting and original, but I don't know where you can find ''reliable'' data on this, has anyone actually carried out studies on this? If so, then this is a great topic, but otherwise I'm worried you will struggle to find appropriate data (which is the biggest issue for most people), and that's one of the most important aspects of this IA. Are you thinking of using Pearson's correlation as your main formula/method for statistical analysis? I presume you chose statistics based on your hypothesis.