University of Buckingham

Ollie Simbunga

Hi,

I've heard that this Uni offers a 2 year degree program, isn't that a bit too suspicious to the employers, when a fresh graduate passes them an only 2 year bachelor's degree? I mean don't they think that a 2 year degree program is just not enough? And, does the uni create any job opportunities while your at the Uni.

Share your experiences and thoughts of this uni.

I'm not sure to which degree you're referring and ofcourse, it depends entirely on the employer. Some degrees are in higher demand than others but even then, nowadays many students are finding that holding a degree to their names doesn't automatically place them in better stead than those without degrees due to high unemployment rates and lack of employment opportunities.

In saying that though, I would argue it is based on the degree that jobs do become available. For example, for medical students studying in the UK at institutions like Edinburgh, Queen Mary and Imperial, the 'career after six months' values are above the 95 mark, according to 'The Guardian's University Guide.'

For students studying engineering, the career opportunities are also fairly decent, especially if the degree chosen has a year in industry (something which I've heard allows students to make contacts which see them through their first serious term in employment). Again though, it depends on the type of engineering degree as well as the institution.

In terms of the University of Buckingham in particular, I don't know as much about it, but am led to believe by those who do that it is an okay Uni .. Perhaps try checking out:

http://www.thecomple...o.uk/buckingham

in order to find what you're looking for, or else try:

http://www.guardian....e-2012-subjects

to see where it ranks in terms of the course you're interested in.

Hope that helped.

- mk

According to the guardian they worry about the intellectual maturity of the student because at the end of the day they don't worry about 'what subject they did, but what they learnt along the way'. 'Indeed, graduates might find that a circuitous route to their ideal job will leave them better equipped to tackle it. Ultimately, when employers are recruiting people, it's not just a good degree that they are looking for; it is also the breadth of experience and transferable skills that you can bring to the role.' They do find them to do students 'a disservice.'

http://careers.guardian.co.uk/careers-blog/employers-worry-two-year-degrees

According to the independent there is the same underlying issue of developing skills rather than learning for the job, and the issue that students are best taught by researchers who happen to take summer off to research (the time in which a student doing a 2-year degree would be in Uni. The positives of the degree are the prospect of fast-tracking your career, less of an economical hassle and less student debt. Although the it's not always the cheaper alternative and it would be extremely difficult to keep a part-time employment and study.

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/into-university/applying/are-two-year-degrees-the-future-796034.html?afid=af

Here's a website that weighs the pros and cons.

http://theuniversityblog.co.uk/2009/01/09/two-year-degrees-will-they-catch-on/

My personal opinion? Go to Uni for the three years at least, Have fun and experience interesting stories to tell the children (this could be your children or randoms at a bus stop). Uni is really more than just a few more years of education, you might actually meet some like-minded, interesting and just individuals who you might never meet otherwise for various reasons. It might be/ probably will be awesomes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've checked University of Buckingham as well and was considering to apply there for Business course.

Actually the reason why they can compressed the course within 2 years is because there is more works to do demanded.

It is hard to judge whether employers will be hesitant or willing to employ graduates who only studied for 2 years because every employer has their own requirements.

But I think it is better to do a 3 year or 4 year course.

Personally, I opt for a 4 year course (sandwich) because it give us a real hands on job experience. That can counts for your CV when you apply for jobs.

I don't think there is a rush in pursuing your major. And plus you get to know more people who can be your future partners, who knows?

Hope that helps.