Do I need to learn how to use a graphing calculator now?

FreyaLu

Yes, you do need to know how to use it. IB Maths SL is assessed three ways: Exam Paper 1, Exam Paper 2, and Internal Assessment. Only Paper 1 is done without a calculator, whereas in paper 2 many questions are specifically designed so as to require use of technology and in the Internal Assessment marks are actually awarded for pertinent use of technology. Effective use of the calculator should be taught as part of your course.

• Like 1

Graphic Display Calculators will be provided to you, and you cannot attempt paper 2 without a calculator :P

It's too tough :P

And the calculators are really simple to operate! :)

Hope I helped, best of luck :D

You've helped! I was worried because I didn't know how to operate it and couldn't find any resources related to it. Now I know that it's a part of teaching so no need to worry ha~ It is good to know the operation is simple. Thanks!

Guest B.E.P.

Yes you do need to learn how to use a graphing calculator. Not only will it help you solve some questions, but it can help you save time - something you really need on the exams.

You can find, as stated above, many tutorials on Google and Youtube. Also, the calculator you purchase comes with a manual that basically goes over all the options of your calculator and how to use it. It would be a good idea to know all these options and use them if you need to on your paper 2 and IAs (although for your IAs, you could find other softwares to use, your calculator is not a must on the IA - technology is)

You can do a lot without a graphing calculator. But when expressions get messy (i.e. take the integral of e^x^2 for some bound) then you'll realize the potential of the graphing calculator. Helps when you're racing against time to finish exams.

Edited by The Economist
Merged with next post.

Yes you do need to learn how to use a graphing calculator. Not only will it help you solve some questions, but it can help you save time - something you really need on the exams.

You can find, as stated above, many tutorials on Google and Youtube. Also, the calculator you purchase comes with a manual that basically goes over all the options of your calculator and how to use it. It would be a good idea to know all these options and use them if you need to on your paper 2 and IAs (although for your IAs, you could find other softwares to use, your calculator is not a must on the IA - technology is)

You can do a lot without a graphing calculator. But when expressions get messy (i.e. take the integral of e^x^2 for some bound) then you'll realize the potential of the graphing calculator. Helps when you're racing against time to finish exams.

When I got my calculator I didn't see any manual... but no worries I think teachers will teach the functions..... will they?

At least in my school, everything required was taught by out teacher. For example, when we were learning matrices he taught us how to make them in GDC. Anyway, no matter what your calculator is, you should probably find bunch of video and written tutorials on how to operate them on the Internet.

• Like 1