How important are predicted grades to US universities?

ibdoom

I think they're really important. As to my knowledge, US universities consider the predicted grades more then the actual grades. A student in our school was predicted 45 points and she got into harvard with a full scholarship but her final grade after doing the exams was 35 points and they didn't care. She still was accepted.

I hope i helped ^_^

• Like 2

^Actually,

Predicted grades don't matter, but a high predicted grade is still needed for the International Supplement.

Ivy leagues don't give scholarships; it's called financial aid.

US Schools look more at GPA + SAT in terms of academics.

It's true, no schools in N. America care about your actual IB Grade. In that essence, your predicted is MORE important than your actual IB Grade.

• Like 1

Unless things have drastically changed since 2009, I'm actually surprised by some of the answers here. By all means, give their opinions more weight than mine, I chose not to go to the US for University studies. However, I did attend an American boarding school, we had numerous American colleges come on campus and advertise themselves, so to speak, to us.

The one comment that I remember distinctly that really rubbed the America-bound students the wrong way was when this rep from UPenn said, "We consider the IB Diploma as an extra-curricular activity." I cannot ascertain the veracity of that statement, nor can I say that the rep was tripping on 'shrooms and had no idea what was coming out of her mouth, but I do know those were her words.

In terms of predicted scores, well, I had a predicted score of 38, I applied to many American colleges, got into a few as well, even had a few interviews. Only one interviewer from Brown seemed interested in discussing the IB Programme with me and the reasons underlying my subject choices and EE topic. The other two didn't even bat an eye about the IB and were more concerned with my GPA, SAT prep, and extra-curricular activities.

Maybe things are different now, I would certainly hope that a rigorous programme such as the IB is beginning to get some recognition. If they have changed, or are slowly heading in that direction, then consider my post an unnecessary history lesson and marvel at how much things have evolved in barely 3 years.

Cheers!

Arrowhead.

Edited by Arrowhead

I hardly believe someone who got predicted 45 ended up with 35. Man, that's a 10 points drop! How huge is that.

I know right? It wasn't surprising. The teachers here don't know how to predict and usually over predict which is why there was a huge drop