How hard is it to get a 5 on a Higher Level Spanish exam?

Nope, if you're learning it as a foreign language then you're doing HL Spanish B. A2 languages don't exist any more, but it used to be a level for somebody who was basically fluent in a second language other than their mother tongue - somewhere between B and A1 languages in difficulty, if you took an A2 language you were awarded a bilingual diploma. The IB recently and for no apparent reason wiped out A2 languages, so A1 and A2 languages are now combined into just "A" Language, with a literature course similar to the old A1 course, plus an easier "literature and language option" which doesn't quite compare to the old A2.

If you're decent at learning languages, achieving high grades in them for the IB is actually pretty easy. Just make sure your command of grammar is good, you know some 'tricky' phrases and colloquial phrases and have a decent vocabulary and that's all you need. Doing it at HL is actually easier in a sense because you get more exposure to it than somebody learning a language at SL - and with foreign languages, greater exposure and opportunity to practice is a big deal. Essentially if you put the work in and are half-decent at picking up new languages, getting a 5 shouldn't be too taxing.

Hope that helps.

Getting a 5 isn't that hard at all. With HL Spanish B, it's assumed that you're not a native speaker, so the exam, though not "super easy," isn't meant to be really difficult. To do well, knowing a variety of vocabulary for several situations, especially a little bit more advanced vocabulary (my teacher used to call this HL vocab), will help you when you are doing readings and answering questions since the texts are randomly chosen and can be about any topic. Also like Sandwich said knowing some colloquial phrases and idioms are good to look impressive on your essay portion of the exam. You don't have to know like 30 idioms, but you should know about 5-10 really good ones that can be applied to multiple situations or are frequently used. Learn a variety of tenses (especially subjunctive tenses and si clauses) and vary them.

Practice speaking a lot, practice writing a lot, and read a lot. If you do all those, you shouldn't have a problem getting at least a 5.

I do know that for 2013 onwards the exam format has changed, but if I'm not mistaken there will still be a reading portion and an essay portion, so the tips are still good :)

I'm not a native Spanish speaker and I got a 7, and no one in my class got below a 5, so it's possible :angel: Good luck!

• Like 1