iBooks vs. Real books

math2

Real books or ebooks?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer real books or ebooks?

• Real books
    • eBooks (iBooks, Kindle, or Nook)

I have to read several books this summer for English A: Literature, and I can't decide whether I should by normal paperback versions or digital versions to read in iBooks on my iPad. I like reading on my iPad: it doesn't hurt my eyes as some might think, I can make bookmarks, highlight and underline text (using different colors), add notes, and then easily access all my bookmarks, highlights, and notes from one place. Moreover, I can search through the book and look up words in the built-in dictionary. The two are very useful to me because the search tool allows me to quickly find a passage and the dictionary lets me better understand the text (whenever I read a physical book and I see a word that I don't know I just guess its meaning). However, I do not plan to bring my iPad to school in the fall, and I doubt that my teacher will be happy with me using my iPhone during class. I'm also not so sure about how to cite ebooks; although there are page numbers, they depend on the orientation of the device and on the font size selected.

So what do you guys think? Should I buy real physical books or their iBooks versions for my summer reading?

If you have a library near you, borrow them instead.

That's what I might do. I'll probably buy the books on iBooks and in the fall I'll borrow them from the library for making citations and using them in the classroom. The main advantages of iBooks, as I said, are notes, search, and dictionary. Still, I'd like to hear more opinions.

I prefer to read books on my phone. You can read under the bedcovers without a flashlight or without worrying about overheating any machinery.

I also buy paperbacks of all the books I really love, just so I can look at them on the shelf and be reminded of all the good times.

Edit: I would use real books for academic reading though.

Edited by Eizhowa
  • Like 1

I prefer to read books on my phone. You can read under the bedcovers without a flashlight or without worrying about overheating any machinery.

How do you read under the covers without suffocating to death? I've always tried that and I always come out thinking I'm going to die. Share tips pls.

Snorkel/ Make small tunnel from the middle of the bedcover to the end/ Use thin bedcovers/ Come up for air when you are about to faint (i.e. before you die).

If you want it enough, you'll make it work

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I definitelt prefer real books to ebooks. I just enjoy the overall experience of having to book in my hands, turning the pages and being able to feel how far along the book I've read. And i love the smell of books ^_^ . Plus i don't have to worry about it breaking if I drop it or spill water on it or worry about it losing battery.

I prefer physical books over ebooks because I myself found it quite tempting to play games available in iPad or update my twitter every sec. So it doesn't work well with me.

I also think that I spend at least 3 seconds faster highlighting text in physical books than that in Kindle whatsoever.

So I think physical book is way better :P

In this particular case, I suggest you just buy paperback versions. Teachers might not allow you to use iPad and even if they do, it will be a huge distraction. Also, as you understand yourself, the quoting will be difficult using eBooks. You can write notes with your pencil, highlight the parts you need, put colored sticky thingies on the pages you need on real books as well. The only downside I see is with the unknown words, as finding out their meaning will take much more time.

In general, I prefer paperbacks, because I hate reading on my pc/laptop. It hurts my eyes and is very uncomfortable. I'd probably change my mind if I had an e-reader, because of the vast amount of free English e-books on the Internet (aaargh, matey :pirate: )

I have all my books in physical form and one or two on a Kindle. Those of which I reread on the Kindle were slower progress. The ability to look up every single word in the integrated dictionary, where otherwise one might have just read around the text to understand its meaning, is an extremely time consuming tool -- one that certainly side tracks you as you venture into each new dictionary entry, giving you snippets of history about those specific words, a whole new activity from the one you should be tackling (the reading). Making notes and highlighting is somewhat dull too. If one were to do it for every interesting point it becomes more of a chore, eliminating the chance (one that may be fairly small when reading Shakespeare or books from another 'fabulous' author) of enjoying the texts. On the bright side, the ability to crank up the text size is nice and any notes that one takes can be searched for in the search bar (clearly), meaning that one no longer has to sift through pages and pages of novels to find that one quote that one would want.

Whether or not eBooks are killing bookstores and the incomes of authors is perhaps another factor one should consider when buying such things. But heck, I'm just messing around, buy the darn things!

brofessional

• 5 months later...